Having to cook 1 Brisket and 2 Pork Butts in 1 day...Need some guidance here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stopsign32v

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 11, 2023
So this Thursday I have to cook a Brisket and 2 Butts but I only have 1 COS. I have absolutely no idea how to do this as this is my first rodeo but here is my plan, please tell me if there is a better way.

I was planning on cooking the Brisket 1st and probably start Thursday @ 3am. That will give me 1 hour to start my coals and fire management for beef on @ 4am. I don't know how long it will take to cook but after it is done I plan to wrap it really good and rest it in my oven @ "warm" setting overnight (I still need to verify what temp this is. Will do that tonight)

After the brisket is off I will do the 2 butts at the same time and I think those are pretty straight forward and I've done a butt before so I know what to expect. Again I will be resting it overnight @ the "warm" setting

Does this sound good or is there a better way?

What smoker? I have a Ok Joe Highland that I could put all of that on at the same time. When I smoke a brisket, I allow 12 hours in the smoke. Some take less and others have taken longer so allow for that in addition to the smoker prep time you mentioned. I wrap my brisket in towels and into a cooler for the rest.

If you do them separately, you'll be cooking for close to 24 hours straight would be my guess. That makes for a LONG day so if they'll fit, I'd do them all at the same time...

What smoker? I have a Ok Joe Highland that I could put all of that on at the same time. When I smoke a brisket, I allow 12 hours in the smoke. Some take less and others have taken longer so allow for that in addition to the smoker prep time you mentioned. I wrap my brisket in towels and into a cooler for the rest.

If you do them separately, you'll be cooking for close to 24 hours straight would be my guess. That makes for a LONG day so if they'll fit, I'd do them all at the same time...

She's a beaut... https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Gourmet-Charcoal-Offset-Smoker/dp/B073ZZ3T48/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2R5CQJSFV62MW&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.rToctiwSTHTa-iuPOB8wy27zSxPWdHHN5nVN1-qhDP-_D6qeVtaLJ4VFWbKMRviiVUIjFyCXKj4PyRbA5JAyZ0f5qmtbZYdu2zpa8MVlTbyk_TCPxehlSNUBML5csMX7P1rbR3Fv6Dq3gHO7-xfgEDmNOFple4u92nCATuFvF7knU5Riui93DBWDoenYrhIOFPDzXukvy5oavSyL8Z_GVI_o2Cde52NltjuwDQ0ygao.hGjXltrPxRMDi0ynY4TzxErYrNv7T9yFNcds8iQS5kY&dib_tag=se&keywords=offset+smoker&qid=1713879412&sprefix=offset+smoker,aps,113&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Maybe they will all fit but I just don't know.

Reactions: JLeonard
I have cooked on that same type smoker once. Do a test fit, if you have the butts and brisket already take them out there (still wrapped) and see how they would fit. Your hot spot of course will be closer to the firebox. I'd put the butts, if you can, side by side..front to back, and the brisket to the far right. You may only have half the rack to work with due to the hot spot. But I'd load from the right to left on the rack. The butts will be a little more forgiving of the hot side. And you may need to turn the butts as you cook so as not to burn the firebox side.

My disclaimer: I am a total newby at this game also. But this what I would try first. Others may weigh in with better advice. And as Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke said....If you try to do them in 2 different cooks its gonna be a LOOOONG day for you.

Jim

Reactions: JLinza
I have cooked on that same type smoker once. Do a test fit, if you have the butts and brisket already take them out there (still wrapped) and see how they would fit. Your hot spot of course will be closer to the firebox. I'd put the butts, if you can, side by side..front to back, and the brisket to the far right. You may only have half the rack to work with due to the hot spot. But I'd load from the right to left on the rack. The butts will be a little more forgiving of the hot side. And you may need to turn the butts as you cook so as not to burn the firebox side.

My disclaimer: I am a total newby at this game also. But this what I would try first. Others may weigh in with better advice. And as Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke said....If you try to do them in 2 different cooks its gonna be a LOOOONG day for you.

Jim

I will try that. Work is buying the meet and we are smack in the middle of an audit yesterday and today so the meat will probably not be purchased until tomorrow.

What about if the Butts are too close to the fire box, a heat blocker?

On a side note I got a boneless Boston Butt for the wife and I. Going to make some street tacos for us Wed! :emoji_sunglasses:

What about if the Butts are too close to the fire box, a heat blocker?

On a side note I got a boneless Boston Butt for the wife and I. Going to make some street tacos for us Wed! :emoji_sunglasses:
I dont think it would be that much of an issue....Others may weigh in differently. You may need to rotate some.
And street tacos sounds excellent. Of course you are required to do a show and tell!

Jim

I started off with one very similar to that. Bear in mind that they take a lot of supervision to keep temps steady. You're not going to get a lot of sleep if you intend to do an overnight smoke. I ended up doing a lot of mods to plug all the holes, added ceramic tiles to the bottom to stabilize heat, and lowered the inside of the smoke stack to keep more smoke on the meat.

What temp are you planning to run ?
Maybe put the brisket on the top rack if they won't fit on the bottom.
At least you would have a headstart if it requires a continuous cook.

Keith

Reactions: JLinza and JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky