Have you heard about grape jelly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atlsteve

Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Over the holidays I heard someone mention rubbing a turkey or turkey breast with grape jelly before roasting it. Would this work with smoking as well? Anyone ever tried this? I'm planning on smoking a turkey breast for a small party.

Thanks JarJar. Should I wait until closer to the end, pull turkey breast off of smoker, rub with jelly, and finish in a 400 degree oven or just go low and slow on the smoker?

If you put  a coating of grape jam on the outside of a piece of meat how can the smoke get to the meat to flavor it?   
icon_eek.gif
icon_question.gif

If you put  a coating of grape jam on the outside of a piece of meat how can the smoke get to the meat to flavor it?    :icon_eek: :icon_question:

It will penetrate the same way it does when you smother the butt with mustard.

When the jelly heats up it will start to baste the meat as it melts. I would melt some jelly and baste it again like 30 min before removing from the smoker and again just before foiling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky