Have Tomahawk Steak , now what ( 3.179 lb )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
ben there done that. the ones we buy are enough for two people. First thing I do is get out the saws-all and shorten the bone. Reverse sear is he way to go. for short smoke like that i still use my MES 30 electric. I throw in some hickory and/or oak chips, probe it and take it to about 10-15 degrees short of how you eat it. The sear step can go two ways. cast Iron skillet or grill plate.
IMHO the blackstone does not get hot enough to do a proper sear. Or if you have a gasser or charcoal grill fire it up to 10 degrees above hell. Keep probe in steak and sear a couple minutes on each side, or until center gets to your eating temp. Don't skip the resting step.
Just my $.02
john

Thanks John, So 10 deg's above hell, that is hot right... lol

This sounds like a good way also, and my charbroil BBQ gets pretty hot near the front, thanks

David

I prefer the slow smoke and then quick sear method but since you like stuff a little more done could always sous vide it to the temp you like and then sear the shit out of it. I have no doubt you will kill it whatever method you decide to execute.

Thanks John, No sous vide here yet, the enablers have not caught up with me yet. But sounds like a good plan

Thanks

David

Reactions: JLeonard
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...d-grill-seared-grill-roasted-5-6-ribs.322425/

David, I have done many many medium to well steaks over the years...... I would you follow the above and once properly seared to the mid rare as above drop them in a foil pan with some seasoned compound butter either on the grill (you are looking for a 375 roasting temp) or in the house oven and spoon the melted compound butter over it every few minutes. Pull it from the oven at 5 degrees below desired, I suspect you will like it pulled at 148 to 150 ish. This will rest up to 153-155 ish and have only a slight pink to it. It will be tasty tasty!

Thanks Civil, I remember that post, and they looked great. and I like what you are saying here also. So many ideas and only 1 roast on a stick

David

Nothing wrong with beef taken to 145 / 150 when properly cooked , and I know you have the skill to do it right .
I had a sirloin roast on the spinner cook faster than expected . Finish temp after resting was in the low 150's . Fantastic beef flavor and moist . That's a lot leaner than what you have . I actually prefer a bit higher on some cuts .
The label says mechanically tenderized . Probably why it says cook to 145 .
That's a nice clean piece of meat .

Thanks Rich, that's kind of temp I will be around, and maybe SPG and let the beef show up mostly.
I know I can figure this out. And nice to have all the ideas from others. Yes I saw that on the tenderizing,

Saturday or Sunday the answer will happen upon me , and than the drooling.

David

David, all these guys are wrong!
You should send it to me! Then there would be no stress on your part! :emoji_blush:

Well you know someone had to say it!
You'll do great with it!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan, I am surprised it took that long for someone to say it , lol

I will have a good go at it , and Ryan you know there might be a very good gravy to potato ratio happening.

Or some kind of broth,

David

Have Tomahawk Steak , now what ( 3.179 lb )

Story first about why I have this as I probably would never buy this for me and Mona, so you can skip the story and go right to the question, lol

During or I should say after the floods this summer, a fellow that I have had do a couple small excavation jobs for me on jobs. Had his basement flood.
History on him , Younger than I , and has a couple kids , early retirement from the service, trying to start up a small business. Calls me every other week with questions about how to do this or what do I think about the way he should go about that. Nice enough fellow.

So back to story, went to his place after the water was gone. Went over what he was trying to do with basement. Insurance at this time because of all the damage to so many homes and property's after all the storms , floods and fires this summer is saying they just need an estimate from a company to fix, rebuild etc.

So J we will call him , asked me how to fix and repair and if I could give him an estimate. BUT he was going to do the work himself. So I knew I was not getting the job and I told him the way he wanted to do the job ( as he loves looking things up on the WWW ) is not the way I or many other company's would do it.
I also told him no problem I will do up the estimate , and if the insurance company makes the cheque out with my name on it I will refuse it, as not running that through and
me pay taxes on job i'm not doing.

He said the insurance is good with that , he is allotted only $10,000.00 from them and my estimate was for $18,000.00 +/-.

So long story short ( I know too late ) I spent about 3 1/2 hours at his house and doing up the estimate for him. He thanked me and said he will get me some fresh eggs for me for all my effort. ( he has 6 laying hens ) I thought to myself a dozen eggs , I know eggs are costly lately but really. I just smiled and said no thanks I am good.

So 2 weeks ago He called and then showed up at the shop with this , he said I know it is not much but thanked me for everything I had helped him with.

A 3.179 Rib steak bone in Tomahawk

View attachment 678304
View attachment 678305

I have looked in the search at how a lot of you have done these and they all look great.

But me as some might know an not on the rare kind of beef guy... I know stop yelling at me.

I like med at the lowest end of a cook , or as the size of this is a small roast in my mind
that is what I am thinking.

So I ask you all before I just sear it and than roast /smoke it

WHAT you you do , and have it still be Medium or better.

Thanks for listening, and I will shuffle through the yelling at me that it should be bloody lol

Going to cook this on Saturday or Sunday

David
I used a new recipe the other day for tomahawk and it turned out amazing. Safe to say our guests were more than impressed. It was this https://www.steaklocker.com/blogs/blog/tomahawk-steak-recipe

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Reactions: JLeonard
Well well David. Sounds like you have a problem but not a bad one to have :emoji_wink: I've done them a bunch of different ways but here is a link to one I did that might be up your alley my friend.

Of course you'd want to take yours a bit more toward the medium side but adjusting the final cook temp is easy enough to do. The concept here is very much like what others have recommended. Can't wait to see what you do with it though buddy.

Robert

I agree with civilsmoker civilsmoker . Keep it simple. Kinder - The Blend (Salt, pepper and garlic powder). I prefer it over Mesquite and Coastal Red Oak. I usually cook to a medium rare but this one went to medium.

3lb_cowboy_steak_04.jpg

3lb_cowboy_steak_06.jpg

Well well David. Sounds like you have a problem but not a bad one to have :emoji_wink: I've done them a bunch of different ways but here is a link to one I did that might be up your alley my friend.

Of course you'd want to take yours a bit more toward the medium side but adjusting the final cook temp is easy enough to do. The concept here is very much like what others have recommended. Can't wait to see what you do with it though buddy.

Robert

Thanks Robert , I know not a bad problem to have , just new to me. And my first thought is to just roast.... then I thought I would pick at at brains of the masses. lol

I remember that post and the cook for Bianca, lol. The bone in this is about the same size as 1 of our pups ha ha
I guess I have it on the menu for tomorrow.

Guess , I should make up my mind soon

David

I agree with civilsmoker civilsmoker . Keep it simple. Kinder - The Blend (Salt, pepper and garlic powder). I prefer it over Mesquite and Coastal Red Oak. I usually cook to a medium rare but this one went to medium.

View attachment 678464

View attachment 678465

That looks great Chris, and real close to how I would like it , Thanks

And I agree with everyone ( mostly ) that simple on the flavoring as I want the beef to stand out

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky