Happy Craft Beer Week May 11-17 (what are you drinking today)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My question to you would be: Exactly what do you consider to be a "real" Irish Red Ale? It does not need to be made in Ireland to be considered "real". It just has to fit the flavor profiles. There are tons of beers brewed here in the states that are "Bock" beers, but they aren't made in Germany.

In an attempt to be a nice guy I'll assume you were referencing my reply and I'll answer the question. I've only had a handful of different Irish Red Ales, the most well known of them being George Killian's. Mine is vastly superior to any commercially produced Red Ale I've tried, and that's pretty much true across the board on all the beers I make. I don't go to the time and effort of making beer to save money. I do it to enjoy a much better product. I've committed a considerable amount of time dialing in my beer making skills (25 years) and spent a considerable amount of money on the right equipment and a top-notch dispensing system that I built. Same principle as so many people here who spend hours and hours smoking a chunk of meat for a meal. They put forth the time and effort so they can enjoy something far better than running to the corner BBQ market and buying it. If you really want a honest evaluation of the Irish Red Ale, just ask Zach ( Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan ). He has been to the house numerous times and that's one of his favorite beers in the world....and that man has VERY discriminating taste in beer.

Today is a nice English Brown Ale. This is fantastic!!
View attachment 445148

I have a BIL that lives in KC. Every year at Christmas he gets me an assortment of Boulevard beers and I get him an assortment of Texas craft beers, and there are a LOT of them. There are a couple of the boulevard beers that I don't care much for but that's just personal taste. No question though, even though I may not care for a particular one, the quality is there. They do a really good job. The majority of what I've had from them I've enjoyed immensely. Here is what's left from the bounty from last Christmas
View attachment 445149

These are not available here so I enjoy them very sparingly. Having one of their Pale Ales now after finishing the Brown Ale, then I go back to the Brown for the remainder of the afternoon.

Robert

I was thinking of Irish Red Ales I had while in Ireland. So, my thought would be it is an Irish style Red Ale. Kind of like New England and New England style IPAs. But, I’m no expert. Either way, good info. Not a Brown Ale fan. What other styles do you brew? Do you keg everything?

Keweenaw Brewing Company in Michigan’s UP puts out some tasty beers. Used to only be able to get it in the yoop, but I think you can now
E4EB44A5-E65A-475B-963D-1C300BF1CC1C.png
get it in some grocery stores, and beer/wine/liquor superstores. Widow Maker Black Ale is a favorite of mine.

Lol. You can't GIVE away black widow maker in lower Michigan. Every pub I ever see it at in Michigan has it on clearance. Every time I'm in there.

SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan

I actually quite liked victory sour monkey!

I'd like to rebut the worst beer EVER made.

For your consideration:

Arrogant-Bastard-Jagermeister-Ale.jpg

This was absolutely HORRIBLE. This coming from someone that quite likes Jager. Not so much arrogant bastard, but those two things out together were just... I mean, there's no words.... Oh my God it was bad. There were 5 of us and it was an absolute consensus. Terrible

Currently I am enjoying the last of my growler of Bald Man Brewing (Eagan, MN) Juice Box Hero Hazy Pale Ale. Never tried a hazy PA before but this is quite good. I also have a growler of their Killer Queen Imperial IPA. Otherwise I have a case of Coors Banquet for when those days around the smoker turn into nights... or nights turn into days.

Guess I jumped the gun. Wife and I went to Granite City Brewery for an early mother's day meal last Friday. At least North Dakota offers sit down dining with distancing which suits me fine. Nothing irritates me more than having to listen to "blah blah" monologue by an idiot at adjacent booth or table.
We had their house brews. I had "The Duke" pale ale. Wife has " The Hustle" Coffee Cream Ale.
Not bad. Wife wanted more coffee flavor which I agree wasn't much.

I need to start keeping a log of the local and regional brews I have consumed. When we travel, I look for indigenous brews.

My biggest pet peeve as of late is the proliferation of breweries making average at best stuff. Lots of cool names and marketing but weak product.
It's actually quite easy to make beer but making good beer is another thing entirely.

Rant over I promise. :emoji_laughing:
I'll rant with you.
Lived in Seattle from early 80's to just into 2000.
Besides the coffee explosion, I really miss the regional brewery selections.
The neighborhood brew pubs were phenomenal.

Fast forward to today
Rest of the country caught the coffee shop craze, brew pubs, and the old school regional breweries putting out the "fancy" beer. All offer some of the worst beverages that people pay top dollar .. for .. it must be the experience, because it certainly isn't the taste.

My question to you would be: Exactly what do you consider to be a "real" Irish Red Ale? It does not need to be made in Ireland to be considered "real". It just has to fit the flavor profiles. There are tons of beers brewed here in the states that are "Bock" beers, but they aren't made in Germany.

In an attempt to be a nice guy I'll assume you were referencing my reply and I'll answer the question. I've only had a handful of different Irish Red Ales, the most well known of them being George Killian's. Mine is vastly superior to any commercially produced Red Ale I've tried, and that's pretty much true across the board on all the beers I make. I don't go to the time and effort of making beer to save money. I do it to enjoy a much better product. I've committed a considerable amount of time dialing in my beer making skills (25 years) and spent a considerable amount of money on the right equipment and a top-notch dispensing system that I built. Same principle as so many people here who spend hours and hours smoking a chunk of meat for a meal. They put forth the time and effort so they can enjoy something far better than running to the corner BBQ market and buying it. If you really want a honest evaluation of the Irish Red Ale, just ask Zach ( Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan ). He has been to the house numerous times and that's one of his favorite beers in the world....and that man has VERY discriminating taste in beer.

Today is a nice English Brown Ale. This is fantastic!!
View attachment 445148

I have a BIL that lives in KC. Every year at Christmas he gets me an assortment of Boulevard beers and I get him an assortment of Texas craft beers, and there are a LOT of them. There are a couple of the boulevard beers that I don't care much for but that's just personal taste. No question though, even though I may not care for a particular one, the quality is there. They do a really good job. The majority of what I've had from them I've enjoyed immensely. Here is what's left from the bounty from last Christmas
View attachment 445149

These are not available here so I enjoy them very sparingly. Having one of their Pale Ales now after finishing the Brown Ale, then I go back to the Brown for the remainder of the afternoon.

Robert

Late to the party here sorry...

It's been awhile since I've had a commercial (big production) Irish Red. I can't say that I ever ventured beyond Killian's or Smithwick's but I did put a few of those away back in the day. I'd like to think the average beer drinker could discern between a commercial large scale product and home brew or small scale company, for better or worse either way. I do know that I very much enjoy the Irish Red you make and look forward to it when you have it on tap. I guess I may have to snag some Killian's on the way out next time for a good comparison, but I know how that will end up already haha. I think the Killian's would/could be good still, but the homemade, fine tuned recipe over years, small batch will be on another level.

Of course, as always, taste is subjective. And that's a good thing. Variety is the spice of life.

I need a beer now!

Today it's 8th Sin this is a Black Lager by Hopcity very nice beer. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3850.jpg
    IMG_3850.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 12
I am blessed with having about a dozen local microbreweries within 15 minutes of my place. Unfortunately, I can't hang out at them right now like I used to, and only a few can their beers. But this is what I'm drinking at this moment.
20200514_185721.jpg

SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan

That double time cherry lime is good.

Check out rhubarb schmubarb or Marion berry sour by rogue!!!

Just took a couple versions of this down tonight. honestly, it is a very good beer, but it definitely sounds better on the label than it does out of the can.

Picked it up in 32 oz cans. If I could find more beers in 32 oz cans, the world would be a better place.....

Attachments

• beer-3529870_b5527_hd.jpeg
    beer-3529870_b5527_hd.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 12
Almost forgot my enjoyment for the day, actually really good - not sure if some would still consider "craft brew"
20200514_155541.jpg

Reactions: ozzz
Almost forgot my enjoyment for the day, actually really good - not sure if some would still consider "craft brew"
Lagunitas produces some very fine beverages.
Does "craft" follow the barrels per day of micro, regional, mid, etc?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky