Had the itch.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Been a long winter. And I've been dying to do a batch of jerky. But mother nature just isn't playing nice. With 60mph winds there's no way I'm going to attempt a smoke. But, I have some High Mountain mix. And they claim you can make this jerky in the oven. When I got home last night. I cut up 2 pounds of sirloin tip. And mixed it with the mix and cure. Then I notice on the directions that it needs to sit for 24 hours. The best I could do was about 18 hours. So I put it in a 1/2 gallon mason jar and vacuum sealed it. This morning I took it out. And it looks great. But I'm not taking chances. The directions say to put the oven at 200 degrees. Which will kill any buggies. And it will be kept in the fridge. Pics to follow.

Steve , I make all my jerky in the oven . Comes out great . I cure for a couple of days , then run the oven at 170 til it's done .

Steve , I make all my jerky in the oven . Comes out great . I cure for a couple of days , then run the oven at 170 til it's done .
What seasoning do you use? I'll be letting them cure longer for this type of jerky. I'm used to letting them sit overnight before smoking them.

It's a High mountain kit . Goes on dry , salt and seasoning are seperate . Measure each out to the weight of meat you have . Different amounts for whole muscle or ground . Then I use jerky trays made for the oven .
jerky.jpg

Reactions: Steve H
The itch is cured....for now. The Hi Mountain kit isn't bad at all. That was the first time I did a "dry cure" for jerky.

P3101837.JPG

Reactions: chopsaw
I know. I'll be stock piling some more meat for next weekend. I think I'll add a bit more of the spice blend though. Or just add extra spices of my own.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky