Guess What I am making?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Orange zest, rosemary, fennel, Hot Calabrian flakes, white wine...
IMG_20220329_224424.jpg

I'll give you a hint, it is famous in Abruzzo, Italy.

Buongiorno
Salsicca di Fegato?
Nope. But good guess!

Man i miss going to Rouses.
Rouse's has a great Italian selection. They just started carrying hot calabrian peppers packed in olive oil.

Campania salami? Guessing that because you’ve made that before.
Nope. Another good guess, and definitely on the redo list, but not today....

IDK but I cheated and looked it up :emoji_wink:
Thanks....

Some kinda Awesome Sausage !!!
I'll bet on it !!

Bear
Thanks Bear! Yes, this will be a dried sausage. I hope it comes out awesome!

I am making Ventricina Teramana .

I had a little bit of lean trim leftover from making Piemonte Salami...about 1kg. Also had about 3 kg. of back fat leftover. Soooo...what do you do with a little bit of meat and a lot of fat? Well you make a spreadable salami. Been wanting to make this for a while now...now's my chance.

This salami is normally stuffed in a hog stomach lining, but I don't have one. I do have hog bladder so that is what I plan on using. It is typically dried by the fire in winter so the outside receives a hint of smoke. So I plan on cold smoking at some point during the drying process....once the casing is dried to the touch a little. With the low percentage of meat ,this salami uses a lot of white wine and a lot of orange zest-both of which are acidic. I will check the pH after mixing, but doubt I will need to add culture for fermentation as the pH should be low enough. Will hold @70*F for a couple days for flavor development though.

Was going to use a 3mm plate for final grind but it just is not working. Too much slippage with the high fat content, too much friction is heating the fat up because it is moving too slow through the grinder head. Temp. of fat out of the freezer is 30-32*F....plenty cold enough. The mix is 30/70 lean to fat. Sooooo...I swapped the 3mm plate out for the 4.5mm and will just do the third and final grind through 4.5mm plate again. Grind is back in freezer to rechill....be another hour or so I reckon....

This type of salami is not hard to make, just tedious because you have to wait for the mince to get really cold....It takes what it takes....can't rush it. If you do, and grind warm fat you will get grease out on your salami. Even stirring the mince every 15-20 minutes..it takes a while.....

Watch Keith and learn. I'm watching.

Mr.Keith; You make things I've never heard of, and probably won't make, so I thank you for posting your projects.
Thanks one eyed jack. There are hundreds of different salami in Italy alone. Many types never make it out of the country, and lots of people have never heard of them. I have a very long list of salami I want to make....and I'm scratching them off one by one as I make them. Some I will repeat often because I like those flavors, but I like the novelty and variety on the salumi board at dinner parties.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky