Grinding peppers for rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokebuzz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 14, 2006
IOWA!!
I have alway ground seeds and all, minus the stem. I have been reading where some folks remove and discard the seeds. Is there any benifit in not grinding the seed also?, i can see where it my not be as "pure", but the seeds add flavor also don't they?

The heat from the hotter peppers comes from the white pith or membrane and the seeds. If you remove these thing the pepper powder will be somewhat milder

Hey, Smokebuzz!

White Cloud has it down about the seeds and membrane. In the milder green peppers and Holland style colored peppers the seeds are a moot point. Grind'em or remove'em. No difference.

But, as you move up the Scoville Scale into the hotter peppers...then you will notice a difference.

You did not specify the type of pepper you are referring to. For my buck, if the supply was good, I would do half of a batch seeded and half unseeded. Then take your pick.

Also, when it comes to peppers with heat, the pepper may be mild or hotter'n hell depending on all the factors that a pepper's growth depends on.

So try a few diferent peppers and experiment a bit. Let us know what you find!

Cheers!

Depending on the chile/pepper in question, it can really make a difference if you grind them seeds and all. Many chileheads from New Mexico remove the seeds before grinding or even cooking because it can give a bitter taste when making a sauce. I have personally experienced this when making enchilada sauce from dried whole chiles/peppers. Bottom line... if you like the taste, then do it. And as Monty noted, chiles/peppers heat can vary within the same batch.

Yes, if it's in something that has to be cooked over high heat, the seeds will make it bitter. When removing the seeds, save them in a separate bowl, and grind them by themselves. Add to recipes like soup, or anything that will be simmering.

Or my favorite ... save the seeds and membranes, then go dump them in a fresh gopher hole in your back yard. The gopher will move to your neighbor's yard!!!!!!
((( they can be good for something!! ))
icon_evil.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky