Grill Mount Idea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
Hey there, I'm just looking for some advice and input on how to go about making a mounting ring that would look something like this:

https://tn-sd.com/charcoal-grill-mounts/

I have not really worked with concrete that much but I guess that would probably be the preferred material to make something at home. Can anybody run down the process to me of forming the ring? Would it be structurally sound if I cast it in some kind of form? I am just wondering if once cast it would be too weak to pick up and move around without being in contact with a surface that would support it's mass. I think that if I can come up with a good way of creating this I can make the grill cart that I envision without too much more hassle. Thanks in advance for your input.

George

So you are wanting to build a wood cart to hang the kettle in ?
Why not frame the cart , form the ring right on the top .
You can use hanger wire in the core of the ring to help hold it together if you want to pre cast .
I would think the heat in the kettle would be far enough away from the wood to not be a problem , but you never know .

Exactly, I want to make something similar to what this person made. I don't think I want to go through all that with the flashing and all that he did. I think if I can create a concrete ring and then just put a gasket inside the ring to protect the finish on the kettle that would solve the problem. Then I could put a tile surface on the bench to make it easy to clean up outside.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Weber-BBQ-Table/

George

I would probably just cut your circle and attach four L-brackets under the table. Have them long enough so they catch the underside of your Kettles lip. This way your not in contact with the table and there is airflow between the kettle and table.

Chris

I would probably just cut your circle and attach four L-brackets under the table. Have them long enough so they catch the underside of your Kettles lip. This way your not in contact with the table and there is airflow between the kettle and table.

Chris
I was planning on keeping the handles in tact on the kettle. So I don't think that I could have a bracket catch the lip on the kettle but I guess I could come up with something to cap a bracket that would rest against the metal of the lower kettle. I'm glad that I posed this now before I bought the new grill. I really want to work out the details first so I can plan on this project. I really appreciate every bit of feedback that I've seen so far. I never would have considered the hanger wire until Chopsaw tossed that out there.

George

Did you see the cart I made out of metal ? I used the Handel's to hang the grill in the frame .

Did you see the cart I made out of metal ? I used the Handel's to hang the grill in the frame .
I did, but I don't know if I trust that those handles will support the full weight of the grill when it is loaded. I am guessing that they probably will but I would like to feel more comfortable with how the weight is being distributed. I'm kind of anal about little details sometimes. It's a personality flaw that I can't seem to shake unfortunately.

George

I understand completely
No way could you put enough food on a 22 inch kettle to shear off 4 ss screws . I built mine because I didn't want to buy a leg kit .
It's all what you want . Kettle with a custom cart might be more than the top charcoal performer . If you decide to build something and have questions on an idea , please ask me .

I’ve looked at the performer. It’s $350 at Walmart but I don’t care for how low it sits and I’d like more workspace. I don’t care to use the propane feature so that seems like a waste of money. Too bad they don’t have a less expensive option without that propane starter. I might be able to live with the short and limited table if it were say $100 less. I plan on using the kettle fully assembled with the legs to begin with. The table is a project for next year. There are a bunch of ideas out there for these grill tables. I want it to be badass so I’ll take my time planning out the build just right.

George

If you are tiling the top of the table, why not use something like durarock for the top instead of plywood ? That will give you a good base for the tile, and no worries about temp issues against wood?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky