Grate lifter ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kenfain

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
just west of Walton, Texas
Every time that I try to lift these grates for any reason, while they're hot. They fall... Right onto the hot coals. Even when it's cool, they fall obviously but it's only a slight aggravation then. The one that's on the right demonstrates the problem, although it obviously happens with either side. When I try to lift it up, it falls completely onto the coals. While its not catastrophic, its still an aggravation. I don't think a simple hook would solve the problem. But I'm definitely looking for a simple solution.

My problem solving, and fabrication skills is like Rube Goldberg lol. I know this from years of experience. I can copy something else very well, just not design anything. I have access to materials, and equipment to make something. I just need ideas. So I'm wondering if a simple, elegant solution already exists. Its a simple problem I know. But I'm stumped for a small, easy solution.

A hook would be obvious, but then its a question of balance. I don't want to balance with my hand. A well built spatula would be my next guess. But the grates run the wrong way for that to work well. Besides, I'm looking for solid retention, and that warmer would get in the way anyhow. My last grate had expanded metal for the surface, so there was no problem. I really like the porcelain coated grates here, and don't really want to replace them. I'm sure that I'm missing the obvious, as this must be a well worn path I'm going down. What I'm really wanting is a store bought, easily sourced, item. But if not I can make something. A Google search turns up a huge variety. Some look like they'd work better than others. There's one that looks like a cross between an old school potato masher, and a spatula, with upturned hooks on the end. So far that seems the best.

I'm looking for something that would still be solid, holding the grate with a pound of meat on it as well. Any more weight, and I'd fully expect to have it supported elsewhere. What are you guys using? What works? Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20200316_182501_HDR.jpg
    20200316_182501_HDR.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Will Squared
Take a walk thru a garden center . Look at the hand held tools for weeding or working up the ground . I bet you find something to start with .

One of the first things I thought of, so we're thinking alike there. But nothing popped. I already have most every tool there is. And there's several likely candidates in the grill section. But nothing that really fits the criteria perfectly, or really not even close. So if I'm planning on just making do with what's available. A couple of pliers will do that. But I appreciate the effort.

That's really close to what I have in mind right there. I'm trying to avoid just buying, and trying several versions. That's why I created this thread. But if I end up just trying one anyway, without any particular personal endorsement. That might be the type I'd try. It's certainly simple enough. I just wish it had some wider support. Thanks for sharing that link.

My opinion , it needs the lift hook in the front and a rest point in the back . Like the one Jake posted . I have one of those , but I don't think it will work with what you have unless you add something to the grate near the end for a lift point . The weight of the grate then holds it in place and keeps it from flipping .
I have a garden trowel on a piece of conduit that I use with my webers . I can move charcoal around , scrape the grate , or stick the point in between the grate surface and lift it out if needed .

Reactions: TNJAKE
My opinion , it needs the lift hook in the front and a rest point in the back . Like the one Jake posted . I have one of those , but I don't think it will work with what you have unless you add something to the grate near the end for a lift point . The weight of the grate then holds it in place and keeps it from flipping .
I have a garden trowel on a piece of conduit that I use with my webers . I can move charcoal around , scrape the grate , or stick the point in between the grate surface and lift it out if needed .
Yes it has to be supported as it comes out. I don't want to dump anything into the coals. I was going to try something low key like you described with the trowel. The problem that I had is the deep yet narrow opening. I say narrow because the other grate is still sitting there at that point. And to disturb it means both grates will crash into the coals. The grates sit on a narrow 3/4 in. lip front, and back. So its a delicate operation to remove a grate. I know it sounds like a PIA, and it is at that point. But that's the only time, and really the only major flaw. I think once this situation is solved, I'll have a smooth cook. After your description, I took another look on Google. I think they already have what you're describing. So I took a picture. I'm really liking that one
Screenshot_2020-03-17-17-08-56.png

My last grill like that had a door on the front to open and add coal/wood , maybe it would be better to make a door?

Yes it has to be supported as it comes out. I don't want to dump anything into the coals. I was going to try something low key like you described with the trowel. The problem that I had is the deep yet narrow opening. I say narrow because the other grate is still sitting there at that point. And to disturb it means both grates will crash into the coals. The grates sit on a narrow 3/4 in. lip front, and back. So its a delicate operation to remove a grate. I know it sounds like a PIA, and it is at that point. But that's the only time, and really the only major flaw. I think once this situation is solved, I'll have a smooth cook. After your description, I took another look on Google. I think they already have what you're describing. So I took a picture. I'm really liking that oneView attachment 436398
My last grill like that had a door on the front to open and add coal/wood , maybe it would be better to make a door?
My last grill had a huge door. Along with an expanded metal grate. So I had options. And to be honest, this one does have a small door in front. But its only about six by less than ten inches. And really only allows you to do little more than look inside. If you wanted to reach deep inside, you'd get burned.

Now in all fairness, there's a way to work around all the issues here. But I prefer the simple approach of being able to be in better control of the grates.

Well a couple of hog rings and a couple holes and you could just raise the front and drop a chunk in there without much trouble

Well a couple of hog rings and a couple holes and you could just raise the front and drop a chunk in there without much trouble
I'd still have to have a way to easily remove the grates for cleaning. But your solution eliminates the problem altogether. Hmmm, it's a very interesting idea there.

I've also thought about adding a bigger lip. That would also solve the design problem...Maybe... Its just that the small lip is so unforgiving. One slip, and it's in the coals.

a few small bait holder hooks for holding a salmon egg and a few sheet metal screws will keep them in place unless you want to take them off push back and lift off otherwise pull forward and up to keep latched.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky