Going In The Smoker Tomorrow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
4 small sockeye salmon filet's
Brined over night using this recipe:
1 gallon cold water
1 quart teriyaki OR soy sauce
1 cup pickling salt
2 Lbs brown sugar
2 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp cayenne pepper

They are sitting in the fridge over night to develop a hard pellicle forms. Helps the smoke stick better.
Using the Electric bradey and should take around 7-8 hours
Will be brushing on Maple syrup near the end of the smoke.

20230908_124357.jpg

In the smoker at 7:30 AM.
A nice crisp 45°F morning.
Canada Geese flying over head to the farmers field about a half mile away and the shot guns are just blasting away at them.
Daily bag limit is 5, sounds like the geese are taking a shitkicking this morning.
20230909_074738.jpg

Dove season has opened up here in Mississippi! With all the firing going on I dont see how anything is flying.

Good looking salmon.
Jim

Looks like a good start.
Early season goose has been a bust this year on our side of the border. Very few birds around. I think just about zero hatch with the wet spring. Saw very few goslings.

Looks like a good start.
Early season goose has been a bust this year on our side of the border. Very few birds around. I think just about zero hatch with the wet spring. Saw very few goslings.
I really don't think its been cold enough to get them moving around yet. This is one of the first mornings I have heard them flying from the river down below to the farmers fields above me. Still small flocks of may 20-25 birds.

Reactions: Winterrider
That salmon looks great KB. Nicely done!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Reading your title. My first thought was that you were going in the smoker. Now that would have made an interesting throw-down entry - self smoked KBFlyer. Definitely would have gotten you a perfect score for originality. LOL.

Chris

Smoke tube is done smoking and first layer of Maple Syrup has beed applied.
Now to increase the temp to get desired firmness.
Looking for around 160F on the larger pieces.
20230909_115604.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Does the residual "fishyness" transfer into the smoker during future cooks? I'd hate to do a smoked salmon like yours, then to do a brisket and have the brisket taste fishy.

Reactions: JLeonard
I have never noticed any "fishyness" transfer in that little smoker and it has to be 11 years old by now.
Probably depends on how much fish you smoke in a year but like I said I have never noticed anything.

Reactions: DemonPit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky