My 5th batch of Snack Sticks...I'm gettin' there...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilohertz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Vernon, BC Canada
I made my 5th batch of pepperoni sticks yesterday, and other than needing more heat, I am very happy with the results. 1 lb beef, 3 lbs pork using the High Mountain pepperoni mix with addition of 1tsp of ground fennel seeds, 2 tsps of my own smoked ground red crimson peppers, 2 tsps of my own smoked Chipotle powder...6 hours of smoke, hickory and cherry....

Next time I am going to add 1 TBSP of my smoked Cayenne and 1 TBSP of red Crimson and 1 TBSP of Chipotle pepper and 1 TBSP of Fennel seeds, that should give me the heat I want.

Just didn't want you to think I up and died on ya. :emoji_laughing:

Cheers

IMG_5486.jpeg

IMG_5501.JPG

I made my 5th batch of pepperoni sticks yesterday, and other than needing more heat, I am very happy with the results. 1 lb beef, 3 lbs pork using the High Mountain pepperoni mix with addition of 1tsp of ground fennel seeds, 2 tsps of my own smoked ground red crimson peppers, 2 tsps of my own smoked Chipotle powder...6 hours of smoke, hickory and cherry....

Next time I am going to add 1 TBSP of my smoked Cayenne and 1 TBSP of red Crimson and 1 TBSP of Chipotle pepper and 1 TBSP of Fennel seeds, that should give me the heat I want.

Just didn't want you to think I up and died on ya. :emoji_laughing:

Cheers

View attachment 675550

View attachment 675551
Lookin good man!

Just a heads up. 1TBS (3 tsp) of Fennel is going to be a lot of fennel in 4 pounds of meat.
If you want a heavy fennel flavor explosion then ignore my "heads up".

I know for my last batch of TX style hot links I used 2.25 tsp (2.67gm) of whole fennel seed for almost 18 pounds of sausage. Admittedly, my sausage just has a slight accent of flavor added by the fennel vs it being a stronger component.

A fry test will always be your friend to seeing "how much more do I need" while adding some more seasonings.

Tinker and let us know what you find! :D

Reactions: kilohertz
Just a heads up. 1TBS (3 tsp) of Fennel is going to be a lot of fennel in 4 pounds of meat.
If you want a heavy fennel flavor explosion then ignore my "heads up".

Tinker and let us know what you find! :D
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep it at 1 tsp of Fennel.

I had my first taste last night, I am very happy with the flavour, it has some heat but not like my local sausage maker. Yes fry test every time, works great and I should have added more heat but I'll make another batch in a few weeks.

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep it at 1 tsp of Fennel.

I had my first taste last night, I am very happy with the flavour, it has some heat but not like my local sausage maker. Yes fry test every time, works great and I should have added more heat but I'll make another batch in a few weeks.

Cheers
Sounds like a good plan.
Fennel and Anise are similar and are quite potent so small increments with those guys when using them. Anise is stronger than fennel which is good to know as well. I dabbled with both of them and various amounts when dialing in my hot links.

I think the extra heat will be easy to get and cayenne adds such good flavor. I bet your other pepper does too. Your next batch should be even better!!! Can't wait to read bout it :D

I think the extra heat will be easy to get and cayenne adds such good flavor. I bet your other pepper does too. Your next batch should be even better!!! Can't wait to read bout it :D
I just brought home 2 trays of OUCH, yummy....this will get the heat up. Habaneros, Jalapenos, Hot Hungarian and my first time ever, Ghost Peppers. Going to have to wait for someone else to be in the house before I try those, I haven't trained the cat to call 911 yet. All picked today by my local farm market, I held the basket, she picked the ripe ones. I'll be going back in a few weeks to get more when they go red. Going to dry some, smoke some, and not sure what to do to keep some fresh ones, they'll keep for a while in the fridge but I want to have some fresh for winter too. Maybe freeze?

Cheers

IMG_5514.jpeg

IMG_5515.jpeg

Last edited:
I just brought home 2 trays of OUCH, yummy....this will get the heat up. Habaneros, Jalapenos, Hot Hungarian and my first time ever, Ghost Peppers. Going to have to wait for someone else to be in the house before I try those, I haven't trained the cat to call 911 yet. All picked today by my local farm market, I held the basket, she picked the ripe ones. I'll be going back in a few weeks to get more when they go red. Going to dry some, smoke some, and not sure what to do to keep some fresh ones, they'll keep for a while in the fridge but I want to have some fresh from winter too. Maybe freeze?

Cheers

View attachment 675571

View attachment 675572
What an adventure in Chile flavor and heat! I will be watching for those results.

Reactions: kilohertz and DougE
I just brought home 2 trays of OUCH, yummy....this will get the heat up. Habaneros, Jalapenos, Hot Hungarian and my first time ever, Ghost Peppers. Going to have to wait for someone else to be in the house before I try those, I haven't trained the cat to call 911 yet. All picked today by my local farm market, I held the basket, she picked the ripe ones. I'll be going back in a few weeks to get more when they go red. Going to dry some, smoke some, and not sure what to do to keep some fresh ones, they'll keep for a while in the fridge but I want to have some fresh from winter too. Maybe freeze?

Cheers

View attachment 675571

View attachment 675572
what a nice haul!

Fair warning, if you are going to dehydrate and/or smoke be wary that you don't pepper gas yourself hahhaa. Doing it outside is best and you might need goggles if the wind blows some of the real hot pepper smoke your way :D

I think you would have no problem vac sealing them. I just vac sealed like 17 pounds of roasted hot and mild Hatch Chilis. They flatten out leaving little air. I would think if you diced up your peppers some and then vac sealed them they would less likely have big air pockets to tempt freezer burn, but that is just a theory. Maybe some of the pepper heads here will have surefire info on vac sealing them lol.

Reactions: kilohertz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky