"Funnest" thing to smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Veggies are good and good for you too. Easy , quick and goes with anything . . .like Chicken Fried Steak or a good Steak on the grill . Double duty ,who cares , it's good
drool.gif

Have fun and . . .

I love the eating-crowd popularity and simplicity of untrimmed SLC spare ribs.  No overnight prep.  Open, EVOO, dust with rub on meat side only, then throw on the smoker.  I've even stopped taking the membrane off the bone side, which works fine in a vertical smoker like the WSM, but not in a my Kettle with offset heat.  Smoked bone-side down toward the heat in the WSM the membrane turns paper thin and crispy after 6 hours at 225-235F.  Peel if off in literally one second at the end of the smoke or leave it there, eater's choice.  Got that idea off a Food Paradise BBQ show on TV and it worked beautifully! 

Smoked baked potatoes are fun too.  Wash, poke 1" deep with a steak knife four times each, EVOO, sprinkle liberally with Kosher salt, throw on the smoker unwrapped until done.  Will pretty much bake at any temp from 225F to 450F, time varies widely.  If you are resting meat for a couple hours, that's generally when I throw them on.  I open all vents and let the smoker temp climb to 350F-ish and they are done in about 90-120 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes.  Don't sweat the temp on potatoes unless is gets too low or you're pressed for time.  We eat skin and all and the smoky flavor of the skin really takes the baked potato to another level.    

Last edited:

I love the eating-crowd popularity and simplicity of untrimmed SLC spare ribs.  No overnight prep.  Open, EVOO, dust with rub on meat side only, then throw on the smoker.  I've even stopped taking the membrane off the bone side, which works fine in a vertical smoker like the WSM, but not in a my Kettle with offset heat.  Smoked bone-side down toward the heat in the WSM the membrane turns paper thin and crispy after 6 hours at 225-235F.  Peel if off in literally one second at the end of the smoke or leave it there, eater's choice.  Got that idea off a Food Paradise BBQ show on TV and it worked beautifully! 

Smoked baked potatoes are fun too.  Wash, poke 1" deep with a steak knife four times each, EVOO, sprinkle liberally with Kosher salt, throw on the smoker unwrapped until done.  Will pretty much bake at any temp from 225F to 450F, time varies widely.  If you are resting meat for a couple hours, that's generally when I throw them on.  I open all vents and let the smoker temp climb to 350F-ish and they are done in about 90-120 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes.  Don't sweat the temp on potatoes unless is gets too low or you're pressed for time.  We eat skin and all and the smoky flavor of the skin really takes the baked potato to another level.      
HAH....who else does that with spares? was it Uncle Lars post? Can't remember, but he didn't trim nuthin' off either and hung 'em vertical. I will admit doing the same with untrimmed spares, although on a grate, and all was good gnawing on those knuckles as I call them. I'm partial to a good double smoked ham...lots of meat usually for other meals and a sweet bone for a batch of future beans.....win win, can't lose. Like the baked tater idea....been loving yams as of late for a change so might try one of them in there for a twist......Willie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky