Show me your poor man's Cambro. What do you rest your meats in?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
This old thing has probably held well over 1000 pounds of meat over the years, won't hold ice, but rests meats well.

What do you use?

IMG_5815.jpeg

Like you, Cranky, I have an old cooler - I think it’s an old Igloo. Not really good for anything else. But I also occasionally just hold meat in a warmish oven - preheat to lowest setting on the dial, which is 170, put a foiled hunk of meat in there then cut the oven off. If I’m holding for longer than an hour or two, I don’t usually use this method. That’s when I drag out the old cooler.

Red

Reactions: JLeonard
Yeah, that cooler may have been a round the block a time or two.
I use a old colman cooler also....Not as old as that one.

Jim

I keep my ribs wrapped in their butcher paper and in my standard oven. It can go as low as 50c (121f) to good effect. I've managed to hold for around 20 hours using this method before.

Reactions: crankybuzzard
My go to is Cambro. I bought a few of them ridiculously cheap on Facebook Marketplace a couple years ago. They are my number one loaned out item too lol

I tend to rest my meat in a MES smoker. Bought it a few years ago because I was planning to mod it with a mailbox and cold smoker. Never got around to that, but it does hold temp and can be set as low as you could want it. You can also add water if you want higher humidity.

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
I tend to rest my meat in a MES smoker. Bought it a few years ago because I was planning to mod it with a mailbox and cold smoker. Never got around to that, but it does hold temp and can be set as low as you could want it. You can also add water if you want higher humidity.
This is one of the reasons that I got a MES. Lookin for a cart/table for it to sit on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky