Fundraiser for 175 on the Lang 84 - lots of QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We weren't anywhere near 200 degrees. We were at like maybe 170s in some, 190 in others. You roll with it - the show must go on.

We pulled them out starting at 1 for a 1:30 meal and pulled what we could and chopped the rest on a pizza box.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif
Next time I will have cutting boards.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif
some were falling apart, some were not. They ALL tasted wonderful.

I had smaller chunks of meat (butts cut in half and those smaller sirloin roasts), so I assumed we'd be close in 6 hrs. Again, some were, some weren't.

The Lang has good thermal mass, but so does 150# of ice cold meat.

I started at 250/260-ish, then once foiled, I cranked it up to 300-325 and "nuked" it.

I had to add chicken towards the end, so I couldn't put that on when I wanted, I had to guess when to put that on. So we calculated/guessed 2hrs on.

I normally do chicken leg quarters for 4-5 hrs at 225-250-ish. That is great that way. The 2 hrs at 300-325 we had to do to make the timeline wasn't near as good. Color wasn't as good, flavor wasn't as good, tenderness wasn't as good.

They all loved it - and it was infinitely better than the past two years were they catered hot dogs and hamburgers for $6/head and ran out BOTH times. This cost them about $1.50/head for the meat and beans.

We busted our *** to get this all ready at the last minute, but it worked out just fine. We were heros.

The secret is:

1 - start earlier and let the temp on the cooker die down and use that as your holding oven
2 - have a place to hold the food warm till serving (I didn't) - the deluxe warming oven on the 84 Lang doesn't hold 150# meat plus 100-8"links
3 - don't worry, be happy, have a home brew
4 - bring a bunch of help
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Just let me know when and where and I'll do my best to be there.
wink.gif
I have a busy schedule this time of year but if I know in advance I can most likely work it in. I'm about 20 miles east of Louisville.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky