Fried chicken!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
First time making fried chicken. I took a whole bird and cut it up this morning. It wasn’t a fryer, and the breasts were gargantuan, so I split them in half. Then into a bowl with buttermilk, red pepper, black pepper garlic powder and salt. They stayed in that marinade all day.

This evening, I got my propane burner, my Dutch oven, and some canola oil. Fired it up to 350 degrees. Meanwhile I took flower and some corn starch and seasoned it with paprika, red pepper, garlic, black pepper and salt. In hindsight I used too little salt. But the heat came through and it was nice and crispy. Not too bad for my first try...
C23C7A31-CECC-4526-8653-87A9060E46EA.jpeg
Seasoned buttermilk chicken.
DBB0616A-6C0E-4873-9B99-008B9EFB7FEF.jpeg
My little outdoor burner set up.
4C6485B7-933B-44A4-8962-1AA410456415.jpeg
93941291-D1BD-4042-9D5B-E183A365ACAE.jpeg
6F636B3A-F6C4-4ADC-8834-4880148BC0E2.jpeg
I also made some home made buttermilk ranch dressing/dip. We have a lot of raw veggies and it’ll make a good snack for the week. It also went well with the fried chicken.

Happy Sunday y’all!

Awesome fry job on that chicken. I’m looking to ramp up my FC and the Dutch oven looks good as I’m now using a 12” lodge skillet on a turkey fry burner.

Great looking yard bird.
I can assure you that the first time I made it,it did not look like that!

View attachment 394429
Lol, thanks for the compliment moto! Leftover cold fried chicken for lunch today. One of my faves!
Wow, that looks great. Love your setup. Never though to use the Dutch Oven for something like this.
Thanks Jab. We don’t fry much, mainly deer steak and fish (and I finish my smoked wings in the fryer), but for what we do this is perfect. And no stink in the house!
Looks delicious!
Nicely done!
Al
Thanks Al!
Awesome fry job on that chicken. I’m looking to ramp up my FC and the Dutch oven looks good as I’m now using a 12” lodge skillet on a turkey fry burner.
This is an inexpensive lodge I got from academy. I love it.

Reactions: SlickRockStones
The Colonel and Popeye's have some competition now. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

I smoked some super tasty chicken this weekend. I've been eating it thinking man chicken doesn't get better than this, but man does that look good! I'd love to have a few bites of that. Well done!!

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky