Free

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr mac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 19, 2009
Doniphan MO
Saturday afternoon. Two days after Thanksgiving. I'm riding around with my son and daughter-in-law taking care of some credit union business. As we arrive at the credit union, the daughter-in-law says that there's a free smoker available on Marketplace as she hands me her phone and shows me a brand new (label still stuck to the door) Masterbuilt propane smoker.

Me, I'm a skeptical kind of guy, but, she'd already asked and found that it was available and she was first to enquire. Okay, we're driving to see what's up.

As we get into the guarded gated community, I'm a touch less skeptical than I was earlier.

Whe we arrive we see in the driveway a brand new smoker and the gentleman who is giving it away.

He had a Traeger he gave to his son-in-law. He replaced the Traeger with the Master built. Son-in-law didn't like the Traeger and gave it back to his father-in-law. Father-in-law advertised free smoker.

Having owned one of these before, my son asked me to christen it. What better to do that than with a beef rib roast?

While I didn't chronicle the entire thing, I will let you know that I wet it down lightly with EVOO and then covered it in my own Montreal steak seasoning.

A couple of hours in the smoker and a rest while the oven came up to 500° F and a few minutes to crust it over while I made a horseradish sauce.

20231126_130851.jpg

20231126_130847.jpg

20231126_171419.jpg

20231126_171607.jpg

Saturday afternoon. Two days after Thanksgiving. I'm riding around with my son and daughter-in-law taking care of some credit union business. As we arrive at the credit union, the daughter-in-law says that there's a free smoker available on Marketplace as she hands me her phone and shows me a brand new (label still stuck to the door) Masterbuilt propane smoker.

Me, I'm a skeptical kind of guy, but, she'd already asked and found that it was available and she was first to enquire. Okay, we're driving to see what's up.

As we get into the guarded gated community, I'm a touch less skeptical than I was earlier.

Whe we arrive we see in the driveway a brand new smoker and the gentleman who is giving it away.

He had a Traeger he gave to his son-in-law. He replaced the Traeger with the Master built. Son-in-law didn't like the Traeger and gave it back to his father-in-law. Father-in-law advertised free smoker.

Having owned one of these before, my son asked me to christen it. What better to do that than with a beef rib roast?

While I didn't chronicle the entire thing, I will let you know that I wet it down lightly with EVOO and then covered it in my own Montreal steak seasoning.

A couple of hours in the smoker and a rest while the oven came up to 500° F and a few minutes to crust it over while I made a horseradish sauce.

View attachment 682049

View attachment 682050

View attachment 682051

View attachment 682052
thou shalt not be ashamed of taking from "them"

Reactions: JLeonard and mr mac
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky