Found in my driveway!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Walked out to take a little walk and found this in my driveway - some nice oak for the fire pit! I am thinking that my neighbor wants some more of that spit-roasted beef I been makin' :emoji_thumbsup: I guess I will be getting a little exercise cutting, splitting and stacking!

I think the tin can was in the bucket of his bucket loader and I just noticed it! :emoji_laughing:
IMG_1611.JPG

Walked out to take a little walk and found this in my driveway - some nice oak for the fire pit! I am thinking that my neighbor wants some more of that spit-roasted beef I been makin' :emoji_thumbsup: I guess I will be getting a little exercise cutting, splitting and stacking!

I think the tin can was in the bucket of his bucket loader and I just noticed it! :emoji_laughing:
View attachment 659362
score!

Reactions: Retired Spook
Looks like post oak. My favorite wood.
Yep, that is what they call it around here, but there is, in fact, a few different kinds of oak in these parts so I cannot be sure precisely what specific brand of oak it actually is. Nevertheless, it is excellent cooking wood (I've gotten some previously), and great smoking wood for those occasions where oak smoke is called for such as when smoking a brisket.

Now I just have to get my pesky obligations finished so I can get out there and reduce it to splits - at a very slow, broken-down old man pace! :emoji_laughing:

Did you find who left it?
Might have to give them some bbq.
That is the usual trade! When I spit-roast a beef they are way too much for me to eat myself before it would go bad so he always gets about half! I am making him a New York style roast beef sammich for his lunch today.

This is a short version - as much as I can eat without exploding my doctor's head.

IMG_1610.JPG

Dang Spook!!! I'd almost come split and stack that wood for a couple of those sammichs and a cold drink.
You keep feeding him like that and he'll have half a forest cut down for ya.

jim

Reactions: Retired Spook
So I made a sangwich for the wood guy and myself and we just sat out there and he ate his but I could only eat half of mine! :emoji_laughing:

Roast beef (3/4-lb each sangwich of spit roasted prime boneless shoulder roast) Havarti, paper thin sliced tomatoes and Romaine lettuce with Duke's mayo and a Claussen's Kosher dill spear! Mine is on the right and his is on the left!
IMG_1615.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

Roast beef sangwiches by RS.

Last edited:
So I bought a moisture meter so there is no more guessing when wood is ready for smoking/cooking. The pile of post oak the neighbor gave me in the fall (almost gone but not quite) is 12% moisture. These new logs are 30% (the tree was standing dead - which is the best in my opinion - but not fully dry yet). Once I finish cutting the logs into 12" thick nickles (do not know what else to call them) they will dry pretty quick here in the ninth circle of hell...

I split a 16" diameter 12" thick nickle of last fall's post oak yesterday (12%) into nice 3" splits and man that stuff is nice. Got a nice little pile so I am going to smoke a rack of St. Louis ribs tomorrow.

I am curious for opinions of best moisture content for smoking using post oak?

Also, I made a deal with the neighbor / wood guy - next time a spit roast a chuck shoulder I am going to cook two concurrently, and just give him one - that made him smile real nice.

Last edited:
Almost done cutting and stacking - damn I am old... its not the bending over that gets me its the standing up after! The stack is 2-rows deep and the larger diameter cuts are in the back (what is left from last fall's delivery is on the left).
IMG_1632.JPG

I have 2 12"-diameter logs left to do maybe the day after tomorrow...
IMG_1633.JPG

And more logs are on the way!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky