Foil pork or not?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

calgarysmokes

Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Calgary, Alberta
Hey gang. I'm doing 2 picnic roasts and I'm seeing a lot of different opinions on whether or not to foil. I've only done pulled pork twice and foiled both times with good results. My thought at the time was foiling with some liquid will ensure it doesn't dry out.

That being said if I can avoid this step and still end up with juicy pork then I'm all for it.

So for those of you that don't foil your pork, how do you ensure it doesn't dry out?

I don't normally wrap my butts and there always tasty,but I like the bark the best! I suggest you try one each way. Adding a finishing sauce can add extra flavor and moisture. There's plenty of fat to keep it juicy.

Last edited:
Since pulled pork is my favorite meal, I doo lots of pork butts. I always foil them. I do love bark but my MES 30 just doesn't excell at producing heavy bark so I don't lose much by foiling. Truth be told, the only thing I lose by foiling is a few extra and enjoyable hours sitting by my smoker as the butt fights its way through the stall.

That said, you shouldn't have any problems with your shoulders drying out. As said shoulders have plenty of fat and collagen that renders down beautifully and keeps the meat nice and moist.

Gary

Gary,
I'm assuming you foil about the time it hits the stall. Once it's fouled do you crank the heat up or is fouling alone simply enough to resting heat and push through the stall?

Yep, I foil at the stall. I dont touch the heat at all. I cook my butts at about 240* and just leave the temp there until the IT hits 205. Most times I don't even add any foiling liquid. The only thing I change is to stop the AMNPS from smoking--not much use in smoking the foil.

Gary

I'm new to this, but in my limited experience I have enjoyed the unwrapped butts better. Just did one earlier today. It was a boneless half butt. I went hot and smoked at about 270 for 3 hours and backed down to 225 for the last 2.5 hours. No wrap because I am a big fan of the bark. I only took it to 197 and it fell apart. 

I've done it both ways but have pretty much stopped the practice. I don't see a huge difference either way and I like bark. One thought is that you could foil through the stall and then take them out again to tighten up the bark as they finish. Seems like a lot of work.

I don't foil, and I smoke them at 270-280.

I get good bark & they are plenty juicy.

A good finishing sauce is all you need.

Here is the one a lot of us use, it's from one of the members on here.

SoFlaQ’uers finishing sauce

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

Good luck!

Al

For me it's either good bark or juices, I personally like rendering the fat from those juices and mixing them back in to the pulled pork, talked about moist and flavor wow! So I choose to put them in an aluminum disposable pan and cover it with foil at 160 or 170 then pull it at 205.

Randy,

For me it's either good bark or juices, I personally like rendering the fat from those juices and mixing them back in to the pulled pork, talked about moist and flavor wow! So I choose to put them in an aluminum disposable pan and cover it with foil at 160 or 170 then pull it at 205.

Randy,

Agreed get about a pint of juice.

Yah, it just seems a shame to waste all that injected flavor, rub that comes off and natural juices. I even place a pan under the butt to catch drippings while I take it up to 160 or 170, in fact I add some brown sugar, rub and a little of the injection liquid to the dripping pan at this point and put the butt in the dripping pan and cover it with foil.
I have also saved the juices and served them on the side, but I personally like them mixed in, additional sauce is not needed, but does add yet another layer of flavor if you like.
A pile of this pulled pork on a Kings Hawaiian bun topped with coleslaw Is really good and the flavord that you can create with injection liquids and rubs are endlesd. My wife likes a Cherry Dr Pepper injection mixed with a sweet heat rub like Plow Boy and Grub Rub mixed with Southern Comfort, I like Cajun Creole butter mixed with a spicy Cajun rub for an injection and a Cajun spice rub. Store bought Cajun rubs tend to be salty so you might want to make your own.
Do you have any personal ways of doing your butts?

Randy,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky