Foil OR no Foil ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Daum !       That is some serious meat !    ( oldschoolbbq )   and love the pix of yer smokers .

I think I have a good base of info here , and Today I mixed up a Rub, checked out the meats  gonna pick up mine Thurs.

My Plan .......... Friday night around midnight put it on .......200  and let it go threw the night , check temp threw- out ....

THANKS again to all   and hopefully  I'll have a good report with pix !  
Tiki,

Sounds like a good plan, but personally I would go with 225˚ to 240˚ smoker temp.

Also, just in case you didn't know, if you inject it or put a temp probe in it before or at the beginning, you have to get it from 40˚ to 135˚ internal temp (Danger Zone) in no longer than 4 hours, in order for it to be safe to eat.

Many of us who do not inject our butts, briskets, chuckies, etc, also hold off on inserting the temp probe until 3 or 4 hours into the smoke. Then you don't have to worry about the Danger Zone problem.

Have a Great & Safe Smoke!!

Bear

I'm a bit of a heathen in that I cook hot.

So, with brisket I cook fat down (I know heretical) and smoke heavy for about 2 hours. I then check the color. If it's where I want it I foil and cook for about 2 more hours. I then check the IT at the POINT. I'm shooting for 205 at the POINT!! Now, this is the method I used when competing but it works at home by cutting my time down.

And when I say hot, I usually cook at 300 or better. This is all based on my stickburner.

When using the WMS or other cabinet cooker I'm more conventional and don't worry about foiling until the temp is around 160 or so.

YMMV!!

WOW ! Thanks Bear I did not know that ( about sticking the prob in at the start )  So I better kick the starting temp to  225, and prob it after a few hours    "Learning ....ALWAYS Learning "  

You guys are GREAT ,   and extremely helpful  I look foward to checking this site every day for more tips and advise

So after hearing all this I hope your going to start MUCH earlier. It's better to get it done earlier than later. It will stay in foil &  towels in a cooler for many hours & still be hot!

WOW ! Thanks Bear I did not know that ( about sticking the prob in at the start )  So I better kick the starting temp to  225, and prob it after a few hours    "Learning ....ALWAYS Learning "  

You guys are GREAT ,   and extremely helpful  I look foward to checking this site every day for more tips and advise
Sounds Great !!

We are always glad to help----Makes my day every chance I get to help someone!

You'll be helping people before you know it too!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky