Flat Iron?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigtank

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 10, 2018
Algona IA
I received a gift of some meat from a new packing plant located just outside Billings MT, called Marbled Meats. I've never cooked Flat Iron steak before. It looks very well marbled. How would you cook it? Is it a tender cut that should be served medium rare? I really like the taste of beef so I'm not looking for heavy marinades unless its a tough piece of meat. Thanks in advance for your ideas of how to prepare it.
flat iron.jpg

Yes it is tender. Treat it like a good steak. You won't be disappointed if you like a good beefy flavor. They are very good.
Years ago we use to cook lots of them. It was a fairly new cut to be marketed and they were dirt cheap compared to other steaks. I still like to grill one for tacos every once in a while. Enjoy!

I have no experience with that brand so I don't know how its cut. The one's we get from K Roger are on the thinner side. Not like a ribeye or strip. Kinda like a flank steak.

Reactions: JLeonard
It’s become one of my favorite cuts. It is a tender and flavorful cut. I cook to medium rare.

Reactions: JLeonard
I received a gift of some meat from a new packing plant located just outside Billings MT, called Marbled Meats. I've never cooked Flat Iron steak before. It looks very well marbled. How would you cook it? Is it a tender cut that should be served medium rare? I really like the taste of beef so I'm not looking for heavy marinades unless its a tough piece of meat. Thanks in advance for your ideas of how to prepare it.View attachment 677145
Mama loves them. can marinade or just SPG. We do them on the griddle to 130.
Rest and slice across grain. Good steak.

Post up your results! I got an A4 Wagyu flat iron as a retirement gift in June. It's ok the freezer waiting for a special occasion.

That looks like a great cut of meat right there! Cant wait to see the finished product!

I do these all the time. One of our favorite steaks. I use kosher salt, cracked black pepper & a light dusting garlic powder, then let sit on the counter for 40 min so the salt can do it's thing. On the grill @med high heat is all that's needed for approx 8-10 minutes depending on thickness. I baste with some Kraft Italian dressing after each turn. Usually go 3 min per side and start checking for doneness in the middle of the 3rd turn. Looking for med-rare. I'm so used to grilling meats that I can tell just by pushing on it with the tip of the tongs. Pull and let rest for 5-8 minutes before serving. Absolutely great flavor.

I received a gift of some meat from a new packing plant located just outside Billings MT, called Marbled Meats. I've never cooked Flat Iron steak before. It looks very well marbled. How would you cook it? Is it a tender cut that should be served medium rare? I really like the taste of beef so I'm not looking for heavy marinades unless its a tough piece of meat. Thanks in advance for your ideas of how to prepare it.View attachment 677145
Oh man, a Flat Iron Steak (also known as a Flank Steak) is one of the beefiest flavored cuts you can get!

I prefer to make my Fajitas out of flank or flat iron 100x over a Skirt Teak. I believe they come from the same part of the cow but the Flank It doesn't have all the chewy, tough, tissue that I find permeates most skirt steaks.

I like my steaks with Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic (SPOG) + a few pinches of Cayenne pepper for flavor not heat. You can go this kind of route or as simple as salt and pepper.

Just be sure to go medium rare and you should have something fantastic! :D

Last edited:
Doesn’t the flank come from the abdomen while the flat iron is from the chuck section?
chopsaw:
2 different things . Like Matt said , the flat iron comes from the shoulder / chuck area of the animal . Flank comes from underneath .

Correct schlotz schlotz and chopsaw chopsaw . Thanks for bringing it up :) Sorry for the bad info folks, had a brain fart there :D

I edited my post striking out the bad content hahaha :D

Flat Iron is one of our go to's. Just had one the other night. S&P along with a dusting of garlic powder. Baste lightly with Italian dressing. Approx 8-10 minutes total on a med-high grill for a med-rare result.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky