First try at cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Keith I looked at one of those this weekend at Lowes. Still in the fact finding stage and getting all my duck in a row before I start the build. Plus getting hunting spots set up
biggrin.gif

I use pit master blend pellets smoke for 2 - 2.5 hrs. wipe moisture away and vac seal, some of the cheese i served at last years NF gathering was a year old. Never have found the need to freeze if it's vac sealed. I cut all cheeses into 4 oz blocks . Reason being ,i can eat 4 oz in one sitting.
 I did find some 4 year old cheddar at sams and smoked it. won't waste that good cheese again as before smoke it was some of the best cheese i had tasted. After it just tasted like smoked xtra sharp cheddar.

Looks good BAMAFAN. I have found the warmer your smoker temp is the more color you will get, as mentioned, that doesn't correlate to more or less smoke flavor.
Agreed Eman, as with most folks smoking their own cheeses, it is super hard to wait that long. LOL. I've found that smoked pepper jack tastes great regardless of whether it is 4 weeks or 4 months old, I haven't found that flavor profile to change much with the longer resting period, now cheddar on the other hand, the best I've tasted that I've done was at least 8 months old. I just have a problem waiting for it. :-)

Last edited:
Tim I broke down early, had to see what flavor it had after a week and a half.. Instead of eating it straight though (cause it was still a bit to smoky), I sliced a few pieces and put it on a grilled bacon cheese burger. It added great flavor to the sand which and mellowed out the smokey ness of the cheese. Gonna try them when I get home next week, and I'll bring a sampler over to you. I know the feeling of diving in a little deep, 8 different ones on the first go. Thanks N FL Gathering for another smoking addiction. Yours looked good, I'll be expecting a sampler on my front stoop in the next few weeks.

Even after a couple of days you will find that a lot of the bitter smoke flavour has gone, however it does take a couple of weeks to really mellow.

Well it's been 14 days. Trying to give it a few more but I think I may have to try the pepper jack later today. Can always reseal if it needs to age some more. This waiting game is tough. Kinda reminds me of Christmas when I was a kid!

Well it's been 14 days. Trying to give it a few more but I think I may have to try the pepper jack later today. Can always reseal if it needs to age some more. This waiting game is tough. Kinda reminds me of Christmas when I was a kid!
i can't stand the wait. that's why i never run out. i smoke more as soon as i start eating the last batch.

happy smoken.

david

that is why i do 15 - 20 lbs at a time. all hard cheese gets cut into 4 - 5 oz portions . Soft cheeses depend on ambient temps and what i plan to do w/ them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky