first timer from Kansas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdsimp

Original poster
May 22, 2008
Tonganoxie, Kansas
Hi just stopping in, I'm a newby and smoking my first pork butt today. I built my own smoker, kind of small...15 gal barrel. any way I'm hopping that it comes out good ther are several people comming overe tonight.thanks and i'll be checking in today and lettin you know if it works.

Welcome to the forum. Its a great place. Let's see some pics of that smoker and the food you're smoking. May all your smokes be thin and blue.
Andy.

Welcome to SMF! There's alot of info here to help ya out... plus the members online for real-time support :{) Enjoy!

And as T.H. mentioned..a pict of the smoker would be cool...lots of custom rigs here.

Gkad you found it jdsimp. Look around there is alot of excellent know-how and fellow smokers here. Dont forget the Q-view.

Welcome to SMF jsdimp. Good luck on the first butt smoke today and remember to keep it low and slow. Those things hit a plateau and will appear as if the temp has stalled but it's a normal process of the smoke.

Definitely want to see pics of the rig and hopefully, of your smoke today!

Thanks for all the input, it came out awsome,abig hit. I think I had it too hot because it was done in 6 hrs. it was a 8.2lb. bone-in butt.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I'll swing by Tongy and sample some BBQ next time I visit the in-laws in Lansing! By the way, welcome to SMF!

It's all about the temp, not the time! Congrats on the success, and welcome to the forum!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky