First time smoking Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

603smoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Hey all, I'm new to smoking and I've been looking at the forum for a few weeks now and joined last night. I bought a MES last week and started using it Saturday. My first smoke session was brisket. 

For Sunday's smoke session I decided to do a Boston Butt roast. Mainly, because I saw it at the meat counter when I was hunting down the briskets.

After finding and reading it I very loosely followed Bear's Boston Butt step-by-step (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/140055/boston-butt-pulled-pork-step-by-step).

I underestimated the amount of time it would take (12 1/2 hours) and ended up pulling it out of the MES at 205 at 10:30 PM last night. It was too late to fully enjoy the results.

When I purchased the MES I also bought an A-Maze-N and a variety of pellets. For this smoke session I used apple wood pellets and filled 1 1/2 rows - should have done 2.

It came out juicy and the bone came right out.  I was pretty happy with the finished product.

Wow, nice job.  Congrats on your first butt.  Looks absolutely delicious. 
points1.png

The PP looks fantastic, especially since this was your first try!

Very nicely done!

Point!

Al

by the way i use an amazn and fill two rows only. that takes me to five or six hours normally and that is plenty of smoke time for me...and yes you gotta give it time. i generally put mine on at mid night the night before and it is ready between eleven and one. then i pack in alum foil and put in a small ice chest til serving time.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky