first time smoking a turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle mo

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Boaz Al
i am smoking a turkey for christmas and i have a few questions. I am using a horizontal barrel smoker. and i use split logs in my firebox. i have smoked up to a 35 lb brisket and it turned out very well, just to give you guys a little info to work with. here are my questions:

1. how long to smoke a 25 lb bird 

2.what temp.

3. do you wrap half way through

4.suggestions for a baste/ spritz ( use a spray bottle for ribs n brisket)

5. ides for wood ( i have hickory, peach, pecan & apple)  i have access to other types if needed 

First try reading this :  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/ne...01&resultSortingPreference=relevance&type=all
i am smoking a turkey for Christmas and i have a few questions. I am using a horizontal barrel smoker. and i use split logs in my firebox. i have smoked up to a 35 lb brisket and it turned out very well, just to give you guys a little info to work with. here are my questions:

1. how long to smoke a 25 lb bird A big bird , however it should be done to "temp." and not time ; you can and should allow yourself extra time - should be 4 or so hrs.  The temp. to go for is 165° in the Breast , and 170° in the deepest part of the meat , keeping away fro bone.

2.what temp. Here the skin is a problem , if you don't care for skin - cook your Bird slow to keep it nice and moist. Place Compound Butter under the skin for good flavor on the Meat (rub under both the Breast skin and the Thigh/legs skin as far as possible without tearing the skin .) I normally cook a Turkey at 225° to an IT of 165°/175°

3. do you wrap half way through - this is a personal choice, I don't wrap , others will be here soon to explain their way. Sounds as if you want to Spritz , so when the color gets nice and Mahogany, wrap it in foil to help finish it up (this will soften and rubberize the skin though). Place in the Foil and an "old" towel and rest in a cooler until Carving time. If you want crispy skin , place the bird on a hot grill , watch it closely , or in the oven @500° for crisping. Be careful though and be diligent at watching it as it will burn easy.

4.suggestions for a baste/ spritz ( use a spray bottle for ribs n brisket) I do not spritz , as I feel the moisture in the Smoker is sufficient to keep it moist - personal choice.As far as what to use as a Spritz...IMAGINATION :)-

5. ides for wood ( i have hickory, peach, pecan & apple)  i have access to other types if needed  Nice choice ; IMHO , the Apple would complement the Poultry taste better, but the Pecan will knock your socks off (in a good way).
Be sure you Brine the Bird for 24hrs. in the Slaughterhouse Brine , rinse and dry well before seasoning. If you have the room-time-and interest in getting a better Skin texture , let the bird rest in a Refrigerator @ 40° for a day then Seasoning it ... this dries the surface more and promotes better rendering leading to better , more edible Skin.

Be sure to follow the safety rules. Start the Turkey at a 45°IT and get to 145°IT in 4 hrs. -to reduce the incidence of Botulism - this will be east to do if the bird is "totally" thawed out. Don't freak - out about it , you'll be OK.

I'm not a Stuffing person , but I do place in Root Veggies to use as the side dish .

Have fun with your Bird and...

Last edited:
Get ready for people to chime in and tell you you "can't" smoke a turkey that large at low temps.  I think pecan is excellent to smoke poultry with; its more intense than fruit woods but still mild enough to avoid overpowering other flavors.  I don't think spritzing or mopping is going to do anything for you because of the skin.  Personally I don't mop any meats because I never found it had any benefit however, many mop recipes make excellent foiling sauces.  Good luck with your turkey!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky