First time smoker from Southwestern PA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwis212

Original poster
Nov 9, 2019
Super excited to join the forums and learn something! Have been gas and charcoal grilling for years but finally got the smoking bug in me.

Just picked up an Oklahoma Joe Highlands and going to throw the Lavalock on there for starters while I'm exploring on keeping temps consistent.

I do have a question already around the firebox sagging. After assembly, it attached perfectly at a 90 degree angle. I lit it up to burn it out and season it and today I noticed that the side of the barrel has bowed out a little and the box is angled down a little. It's not too much but definitely noticeable. Is this a normal thing or something I should worry about? No smoke is leaking out between the box and smoke chamber so that seems okay.

Thanks again and happy to be here!

Reactions: JC in GB
welcome from northeast pa, you joined a great forum, not familiar with your smoker but i'm sure someone will be around or post your question in another thread. good luck. jim

Welcome to the forum from NW Pa. Sorry I can't help you out, but I sure someone will be around shortly.

Welcome from Michigan. I have a highland, no serious mods (made a fire basket and installed silicone grommet for temp wires).l, no gasket, latches etc and has turned out good q.
Not sure about the sag your referring too. Mine, that I notice, doesn’t sag. I guess check and make sure all the bolts are tight.
Photo could be helpful as well.

Thanks for the welcomes. Here is a picture. Like I said, it's nothing crazy but definitely noticeable. I checked all the bolts and everything was very tight. I'm just going to chalk it up as a little warping and see if it gets any worse. If anything I could put some support stand underneath. Just didn't know if anyone else had the same thing and hoping it doesn't continue to tilt more. Maybe I have nothing to worry about!

Snapchat-1380454084.jpg

Interesting, I can see what you mean. I bought mine last year, and doesn’t look at all like that. Maybe someone else has a suggestion, but maybe send photo to OKJ customer service. (Sorry not more helpful)

Welcome to SMF!
I guess as long as it's tight & not leaking then it should be alright.
But being the way I am I would want it to be perfect, so I would give customer service a call & if needed send them that pic.
Al

Good afternoon and welcome from a Cold East Texas, and the Best Site on the Web

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky