First time bone in ribeye and shrimp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fishonshawn

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 10, 2019
Got a new kettle a couple weeks ago so been learning how to cook stuff with charcoal. Little different than my pellet grill. Anyways last week my buddy called me to let me know a local store of ours was having a big beef sale, 50% off. So we ran down there and grabbed 4 of the biggest flank steaks I've ever seen, a trip tip and this bad boy caught my eye.
20210516_162008.jpg

Never done a bone in ribeye and always thought why would I pay for the bone...but being kind of special with the new kettle decided this would be a good giant dinner for the wife and me. 2 3/4lbs and almost 2 1/2" thick. Debated using our favorite chipacabra rub but decided in the end to go with salt/pepper/garlic powder/thyme.
20210516_163233.jpg

Threw almost a full chimney of charcoal in a upside down vortex off to the side and let her cook indirect for about and hour and half. Basically had to choke off all air to keep the temp reasonable. When she hit around 90 I added a few more coals and when it hit 100 I decided to sear for a bit.
20210516_181236.jpg

When done searing I moved it back off to finish. When it hit right around 130 I took it off. Only meant to go to 128 but close enough.
20210516_181934.jpg

While the steak was resting I threw the shrimp kabobs over the coals and let them go. Never done them before. Over cooked them a bit but my wife loved them and she doesnt usually like shrimp.. Seasoned them with citrus baha seasoning and had some melted butter with some garlic cloves in it to baste them a bit. So my wife liked em like i said but i actually prefer just butter and garlic shrimp over the baha seasoning i used. Didnt get any shots of them on the grill as everything with them happened so fast..
20210516_183707.jpg

Over all we thought it was a pretty decent success. Best part is my wife is not a fan of the ribeye cap...so I got the cap and she took most of the eye.
20210516_184140.jpg

20210516_184417.jpg
20210516_184417.jpg

When things look that good double images are fine. It all looks awesome but your right the shrimp cooks quick. Very nice meal and great way to break in that new kettle

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky