First time baby backs.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

baseballguy99

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Red Bud, IL
I picked up some baby back ribs a few weeks back at the local butcher. Pulled them out of the freezer Wednesday morning and put them in the fridge to thaw. Thursday evening I rubbed them down with some "Three Little Pigs BBQ Rub".

Wrapped in foil and back in the fridge overnight. Pulled them out to rest while I warmed up the smoker and lit the AMNPS loaded with Corn Cob and Hickory.

My plan is to do the 2-2-1 method. Here they are just going into the smoker and some nice TBS.

Here they are at the 2 hour mark. Getting wrapped in foil with apple juice, butter, and a little bit of the rub.

MES has been holding steady at 235 with the IGRill2 reading 225-230.

Will try to get some pics before they get devoured!

Reactions: geezer
I think they may have been in the foil just a bit too long! When I went to take them out of the foil...they just fell apart. 1 slab wasn't too bad, the other one fell into 3 pieces. Oh well lesson learned for next time. 2hrs in foil is too much.

That's always been the way it works for me. You can manage it if you're careful and just kind of roll it out the foil back onto the grate. That said, I usually smoke bbs for about three hours, until they start to bend, then wrap for an hour. Then sear over hot coals for about a minute. Most importantly, however, how did they taste?

Lance

Heh, at least we know they're tender. 
smile.gif

Ribs aren't hard, but even under exact conditions they'll turn out different each time. Yours sound like what my crew wants each time. I prefer mine a bit more firm, but it isn't a hill I'm willing to die on. 
icon_mrgreen.gif

points.gif

Yup that's how my wife likes em. We compromise, I get em tender enough to want to fall off the bone but not actually do it. Wait a minute, that's how I like them.

And Lance takes the hill!

Also you try skipping the apple juice. Ribs, or anything for that matter, will render plenty of their own juices to braise in.

Last edited:

Here they are just before 1 whole slab was demolished. We ate the one that was falling apart. SWMBO likes her falloff the bone tender. She said they were some of the best ribs she has ever eaten. I like mine a little more firm, but the flavor was spot on (maybe a little more rub next time). I had to sample the other slab and they were perfect! Had a little bite to them but the meat came clean off the bone! Even our 2 year old daughter was eating pieces of the meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky