First smoke tomorrow pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gooneruk123

Original poster
Apr 22, 2021
Hi everyone , got my first smoke tomorrow on my mastbuilt duel fuel smoker. I have a 3.5lb pork butt to smoke.

Can anyone give me advice on times and temperatures please. Do I need to wrap it after a certain amount of time etc ?

Thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
A Small Butt like that...Figure 1.5 hours per pound at 225°F , to get to an Internal Temp of 205°F and probe tender. If you want to Wrap, I prefer a Foil Pan covered to actually rolling in foil. You will save a little time cooking, do so when the IT gets to 160-165.
Done early? Foil and Towel wrap then Cooler rest up to 4 hours...JJ

This is what I will add to the covered pan...

POP Sauce

2C Cola or other Favorite
1/2C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Rub, whatever's on the meat.
1T Mustard
1T Molasses

1T Colgin Hickory Liquid Smoke (Optional. Use if Oven Roasting)

Add all to a pot and bring to a simmer, for 5 minutes.

For Foiling, add to a pan with the pork, cover and continue cooking.

For Finishing Sauce, keep warm and add to meat.

For Marinade, cool for 30 minutes the refrigerate until cold.

Marinate meat overnight.

For Glaze, reduce over low heat until syrupy. Brush over grilling meat and caramelize.

Enough for one average butt.

Reactions: JLeonard
you can wrap it after there is enough bark to help speed it up, and protect it against higher temps if you want to further speed it up. You will probably want to have at least an hour unwrapped at the end to help the bark crisp back up. Spritzing with something sugary can help with that. i like using root beer or cherry cola. often a mix, or sometimes ill mix a cherry soda (black cherry soda, like the old school fountain cherry syrup) to root beer

Last edited:
They have you covered pretty good. I usually wrap mine to get passed the stall around 160*. It just makes it easier when it’s finished to wrap in towells and toss in a cooler to rest. What type of rub are you using? Anything with a brown sugar base will be very good on pork. Good luck and post pics.

Great advice so far. I'll add this: Finish internal temp should be approximately 205*. At that temp, the butt should be probe tender--the probe slips into the meat like a hot knife into butter. Keep cooking until the butt is probe tender.
Gary

Great advice so far. I'll add this: Finish internal temp should be approximately 205*. At that temp, the butt should be probe tender--the probe slips into the meat like a hot knife into butter. Keep cooking until the butt is probe tender.
Gary

And seriously go to 205. It's amazing what a difference a few degrees make. I sometimes used to pull it at 201 or so just to get dinner on the table, but it was a huge difference in tenderness. Now I go all the way to 205, and I'd rather go a little over than a little under that.

All sound advice. I don’t cover mine. It takes a little longer but I absolutely love the bark. It’s my favorite part. I do spritz mine. I definitely recommend keeping a pan under to catch the drippings if you can. You can put it in that pan if you want to if you do a wrap or jus add that liquid back after you’ve pulled it. That stuff is gold.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Managed to smoke it easily up till 160 then stalled. Wrapped in foil with chef Jimmy's pop sauce 👌

Cranked smoker up too 300 and got it up to 205. It was pretty good for my first smoke .

Thanks again everyone 😁

Attachments

• 20210425_172350.jpg
    20210425_172350.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 15
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky