first smoke ever!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jamesedw1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Kuna, Idaho
last night I smoked 2 pork loins on my masterbuilt. one turned out really well and one turned out not so good. I made a homemade rub and put it in the fridge for 2 hours before smoking. smoked it on 250 for 2 and 1/2 hours and one turned out really dry and one turned out really juicy and tender. I dont know where i went wrong. the internal temp was 170. any suggestions? Thanks

The IT was 170` on both of them ?? to begin with.. 170 is well done (dry) for pork... loins, you want to pull at 145`ish.. sounds like the dry one was in a hot spot on the smoker and cooked more than the juicy one....

Last edited:
!m confused on where pork should be cooked at. some people say 145 and ive seen someone say 180. so 145? i also noticed the dry one was thinner then the one that was moist.I need to play around with it more thanks

James , I suggest you practice on Chickens and get use to how your Smoker works . The next project would be a Pork Butt and practice some more... that's your key to good Smoking, that and patience.

You'll want to also read Jeff's free Smoking E-book , a great start...

Also , start a "LOG BOOK" of all your cooks , good or bad , and watch the skills improve
biggrin.gif

Have a great Thanksgiving and as always . . .

I have started a log book I thought it would be a good idea. I'm going to do chicken this weekend and play around. My first smoke didn't turn out very well but I'm having a lot of fun!!!

After reading your threads I am going to start a log book as well. I have been meaning to do so but I haven't. There have been some great smoke recipes that have turned out good and others not so good. I needed this push from reading these threads, thanks for the advice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky