First smoke butt tomorrow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mike, I have seat down in my chair play some Call of Duty online, that's how I relax. Got the wirless beside me gone 3 degrees. In middle tenn where I am we has 10 days of 100, a few of those were 108. Down 7" for the year. It has rained for about 3 days now, in those 3 days we have gotten about 5 inches of rain. It has cleared for now...
You're in the same boat I am then, pretty much gave up watering the lawn and trying to keep the smaller trees from giving up. It looks like Fall they've dropped so many leaves. Good to hear your gaining some temp, mine's at 190 and the cooler and towels are ready when it hits 205. Getting hungry!

You're in the same boat I am then, pretty much gave up watering the lawn and trying to keep the smaller trees from giving up. It looks like Fall they've dropped so many leaves. Good to hear your gaining some temp, mine's at 190 and the cooler and towels are ready when it hits 205. Getting hungry!
I am 6 hrs into it and it's at 154, getting a little worried but I have all night.

Yea I guess so, more call of duty to play then. Went out to spray some apply juice on them snap a picture.
18b354cf-e2e9-7917.jpg

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Looking dang tasty bud! Mine is at 198 but I only had the one 6.5# butt. Looks like about 12 hours for me. I'm guessing with all the meat in yours it's gonna take longer with all the mass soaking up the heat. Makes sense in my head anyway, I'm no pro though..

Well I've pulled the water pan out now, smoker temp is about 250, IT is 155, think I'm coming out if the stall I hope going to foil at 165 then cook till 195 or so then into the cooler.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Well 2 of the 3 have hit IT of 165, they are foiled and back in the smoker, the 3rd is holding at 157. Almost there....

The only thing i can add is to invest in the maverick ET 732. I will be the best thing you ever purchased. Its a dual probe thermometer. One for the cooker and one for the meat. It also comes with a wireless remote that will alert you if and when the smoker gets above or below a desired range.

The only thing i can add is to invest in the maverick ET 732. I will be the best thing you ever purchased. Its a dual probe thermometer. One for the cooker and one for the meat. It also comes with a wireless remote that will alert you if and when the smoker gets above or below a desired range.
Thanks, I might have to invest in one of those.

Alrighty then, the 2 bigger butts got to 165 first, the little one hovered around 164 11 hrs in, then I was watching the wireless and seen it start to back off. Go out side, out of gas..., I had another tank, but it wasn't full so I brought them in preheated oven to 300, put them in a pan with some apple juice and going to check them ever 30 minutes or so, till about 200 then into the cooler they will go for an hour, then I am going to pull it and put it in a pan then fridge till tomorrow afternoon and chow down. I'll get some pictures before I pull and after, till then c-ya.

9df23ec6_2012-07-1423.45.46.jpg
15 hours later to the minute 12 lb of boston butt has been smoked and pulled. I have been rained on all day, and ran out of gas once. I pulled them at IT of 165 foiled them and through them in the oven at 300. Took about another 1 1/2 to get to 195. Double foiled, wraped in towel and put into cooler for another 1 1/2 hour. Was wanting to go to bed, so I pulled them out and started pulling. All were white in the middle which I guess or hope they should have been. The first 2 didn't fall apart but were fairly easy to pull, the third one which had a bone was very tender, I pulled it just by pulling a fork through it. Keep some of the juice created while they were in the oven, so I pour some of it back on all of it. It's in the fridge till tomorrow when I will warm it back up and them I am going to whip up the finishing sauce and add it to that. The wife asked what we were going to have for dinner this week when she left for the store, I told her to make sure what ever she got it went well with BBQ. Cooked way to much, but all in all for the first time I think it turned out good. Even if I did start late and battle the rain all day. Thanks to you guys for all the comments and help.

Glad it turned out, looks great! Mine took a little over 12 hours, into the cooler for about 90 minutes then pulled and hit it with the finishing sauce. Man, was it ever good. Everyone raved about it. Definitely worth the effort. Wish I had more left over, think it'll get me through lunches for the week though!

Don't forget to check that mod thread I sent you. Gas will never be an issue again. I've done butts twice, thighs twice, a pork loin, ribs, and a whole chicken and still have a 1/4 tank.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky