First ribs on my new GMG pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heycoachmoose

Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Santa Fe Springs, CA

I was busy most of weekend. But I couldn't pass up a sunny day. Bought some spares and left them untrimmed. Normally I would trim to st louis cut. Used Jeff's rub. But I didn't have ingredients for sauce. So I doctored up some store bought we had in pantry. I was playing with my process. 1 Wrapped in foil after 3 hours and 1 wrapped in butcher paper. I can't say I saw a difference. But its a work in progress

Reactions: geezer and sauced
Oh man....some great looking ribs!!!

Points!!

points.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Guy's. They were mighty tasty.

This weekend my parents will be in town visiting. Dad has requested adult beverages and lots of BBQ. So I should be putting the GMG thru her paces. Fish, beef and some pork for sure

Which gmg is that on. I'm interested in one but wasn't sure which size I wanted.

Ohhhhh and it all looks delicious. I'm sure it was a great weekend.

Moose,

I've been making ribs for a few years now and am pretty good however my results are still a little inconsistent.

Your second last picture is EXACTLY how I like my ribs to finish. Clean, square cuts and almost like a succulent tender medium rare steak texture but not mushy or anywhere near FOB texture.

I'm wondering if you could share some cook details (cook temp/time, foil time, final internal temp, etc. if you happen to have that info.)

Cheers from Ontario,
-B

Moose,

I've been making ribs for a few years now and am pretty good however my results are still a little inconsistent.

Your second last picture is EXACTLY how I like my ribs to finish. Clean, square cuts and almost like a succulent tender medium rare steak texture but not mushy or anywhere near FOB texture.

I'm wondering if you could share some cook details (cook temp/time, foil time, final internal temp, etc. if you happen to have that info.)

Cheers from Ontario,
-B
Here is my method.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/240916/perfect-ribs-every-time-this-really-works

Al

Al, you're able to do the ribs in just over 4 hours or did I miss something?
No you didn't miss anything, but as always sometimes they take longer & sometimes they are done sooner.

That's the beauty of using IT to determine the doneness.

It doesn't matter what temp your pit is at or how well marbeled the ribs are, or any of the other variables.

The only thing you have to concentrate on is the IT of the ribs.

If your pit is running hot then they will be done sooner, if it's running cooler then they will take longer to cook.

Even if you can't keep the temp steady & it's bouncing all over the place, it doesn't matter.

When the IT hits your magic number they are done!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky