First Real Use of My New MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

weathertom

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I just got my MES 30 (20070411) a few weeks ago, and have only used it once for a beef chuck which I did for pulled beef sandwiches. Turned out ok, but could have been better, and I learned a number of things on here after the fact. We have a party later today, so I'm giving the smoker it's first real test. Just put two pork butts into it to make sure they will be done in time for our 5 PM party (ideally would like to see them done by 3 PM so they can rest in a cooler for a bit before I pull them). Will be heading back to bed shortly once I'm satisfied the AMNPS is smoking well. I did a test run with it last evening (my first time trying it), and it worked great (first time I used it, and man did it give off some nice smoke for a long time, with not even one row of pellets), so I'm not too concerned. I've got four racks of ribs I'll be putting into it later this morning (probably around 1030 AM), so I'll need to rearrange the butts a bit to make room before I do that. But, hoping they will be up near 160 degrees shortly after I wake up, so I can foil them and do some quick rearranging then (should shrink down enough to get both on one shelf  or place two shelves closer together after being foiled). I can't wait to see how everything turns out.

Here are the butts just before I put them into the MES. Used some mustard, then put the rub on them. They are each around 8.5 lbs.

And, here they are enjoying themselves right after I put them into the smoker. Fingers crossed, time for some more sleep.

Earlier posts were from around 2 AM. Now it's about 8 AM. Checked on things, smoke is still flowing, temperature looks to be holding near 225 very well. The internal temperature is only up to about 145 though, so I guess it will be a little while yet before it plateaus near 160, which is when I'm planning to foil it. Hopefully the remainder of the rise after that goes ok, or I'll be pushing things on time (certainly looks like it will take more than 12 hours, hopefully still close to the 13 I banked on). We shall see, maybe I'll be surprised (pretty much am with everything I do, since I really haven't done much of anything yet in the smoker). It's fun, so that's what matters. Guess I'll go help my wife with some of the cleaning and other house preparations, since these aren't ready to be touched yet and the ribs don't need to go in for another 3 hours or so.

Thanks Dave. Well, around 1030 AM the butts seemed to plateau around 158 on my thermometer, so I took them out and wrapped them in foil (below is how they looked just prior to being wrapped).

The ribs followed them in a few minutes later. Although I hate losing heat, I'll probably spritz the ribs with some apple juice every hour or so. Hopefully another 6 or so hours and everything will be done.

Twelve hours has come and gone, and the butts still have a ways to go (creeping up through 185 right now). They should still get done in time for the party, but I probably won't be able to let them rest as long as I would have liked (we'll see). The ribs look good with about 3 1/2 hours under their belt. Man, I'm getting hungry.

Was too hectic to take a picture of the finished product when I pulled butt #1 yesterday, but this is butt #2 which I just pulled a little while ago. They both came out about the same, and were tasty (guests seemed happy at least). That's an extra large mixing bowl, so there's more there than how it appears (we'll be eating pork for a while :-)).

Last edited:
Tom, morning....  You have my attention......   
popcorn.gif
....  Dave

Thanks, I'm just hoping my first big smoke goes ok, especially since it's all for a party/guests. I'll update the thread with some QView when things are done, for better or worse 
grilling_smilie.gif

I haven't paid real good attention to any temp drop when I open my door for whatever reason . I don't think I've really had any longer cook times because of it . Maybe a matter of minutes longer , but people say add "x" amount of time when ever you open it to do whatever , I would think on my stuff maybe I add twice as much time as the door is open . If that makes since??? So if the door is open 10 minutes total ( which I don't think it would ever be open that much , just using a round number ) I would add 20 minutes to total cook time . In reality though , how long does it take to open the door , do a little spritz , and close the door ?? 15 seconds or something .

I said in a previous post , I'm getting more and more to just set it and forget it except for adding chips , which for some reason I kind of enjoy . If I didn't want to I'd just put my amns in there . I just did a brisket flat yesterday but I did put it in a foil pan with some broth and seal it up with foil after it had been in there for about 2 hours or so at 250 ,because I was afraid of it drying out . Only about a third of it had any fat layer and where it did it was thin , maybe 1/16 of an inch . My plan was then to take it out of the pan for another hour or so but it was already done . I guess it got kind of steamed so it cooked quicker than what I was thinking . I just sliced it this morning and it tastes pretty good cold and was tender .

Thanks, what you say makes total sense, and I'm betting with time I'll get away from even spritzing the ribs. Maybe I'll try the 3-2-1 at some point, but that seems like a lot of trouble to get something I'm not the biggest fan of ("fall off the bone"). I'm still being biased by my previous experiences of smoking on my gas grill via indirect heat and smoker boxes, so it will take me a while to get used to how much easier things are this way. I am using the AMNPS, mainly since I had to put the butts in around 2 AM, and wanted to get some sleep (the chip loader needs to be refreshed almost every hour in my MES). Plus, I really like how much smoke that AMNPS puts off, what a cool product. Thanks again.

Everything turned out well, the butts in particular were awesome. Unfortunately it got hectic while I was pulling with guests arriving, so I didn't get any pictures of the final product 
icon_cry.gif
. We finished most of one butt, but the other was untouched, so we'll have leftovers for a while (will probably need to freeze some). The ribs tasted great, but could have been a little more tender. I'm not sure if that's because they may have needed a little more time or because I never wrapped them (didn't do 3-2-1 since there was simply too much going on and I didn't want to mess around with taking them out, wrapping, etc). But, they tasted great, and honestly had the right amount of bite for me (but, it seems like most people like "fall off the bone" way more than I do). All in all, a definite success, and the smoker performed perfectly. Next I'll need to try some chicken and other things, and eventually a brisket of course.

Looks pretty good! 
drool.gif

What was the final time to finish smoking the butts? Did you get the rest period you wanted? 

I do my ribs 3-2-1 modified by replacing the last hour in the smoker with about 30-45 minutes on the grill. We don't like them fall of the bone, we like a slight pull when you bite them from the bone and this seems to work pretty well for that.

That's a good idea, and I may try that next time around. I also like a nice pull, maybe more than some people, so these were about right for me (but what you mention would likely be a nice compromise for everyone). I just pulled the second butt and put a qview of that above in the original thread. The first one turned out pretty much identical, they were both tasty. Overall, it took about 14 hours for the two butts, about 8 unfoiled, then the second 6 hours in foil. That gave me about an hour to rest them before I pulled the first one, which worked ok (although was still a bit hot to handle :-).

Thanks. Yeah, the bark was good, and there are some good bits mixed in with the meat (just didn't show in that photo). It obviously softened after foiling, but still real tasty. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky