First real smoke on Smoke N' Pit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cajun_1

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 16, 2006
Idaho
Well did some extra mods to this thing. Moved smoke stack and sealed 99.9% of the leaks. Have a little problem keeping it around 250* but low n slow is the name of the game.
Doing 2 Picnic Shoulders. Started about 6:30 this morning and 1 is sitting at 148* already. The other 1 is not far behind. Using Pecan/Pear.

Also threw in acouple pics of some of the tamater plants around the house,

Nice smoker! The grub looks great. I also have a hard time keeping mine at 250. I found that if you add about 12 charcoal lumps straight on the hot coals every hour then your temp will stay around 225-250.
I like the way you modded the stack. Did you cut a hole in the side for the new stack? Ive been thinking of doing the same to mine.
I did a brisket last night (the all night smoke) and I used almost a whole BIG bag of charcoal.

Thanks low&slow for the 411 on keeping the temp up. I'll try that on my next smoke. Yes, I cut a hole in the side. used a 2 3/4 " hole saw, then used a file to make it a hair bigger so the old stack would fit. A 3" hole is to big. (Must have something to do with metric). I was able to keep the warming rack in tact. Just wrapped 1 of the shoulders a few minutes ago at 160*. Noticed I have already used a whole bag of Royal Oak. Other shoulder is at 152*.

i founda trick yesterday doingthat big(almost 50 lbs of meat) cook. flip the coal bed in the main chamber highest(left) to lowest(right),use strictly chunks after the 1st initial(5-8lb coal) of mesquite or hickory)oak burns hot too,a 1/2 full water pan- a disposable turkey pan. i used approx 2 bags of skeet chunks & 10 lbs of sam's club bigger brickey's for the whole 12 hr cook. yes i cheated & finished the brisket in the oven- it was a 15 lb packer & i didn't start the fire until 11 am( i slept late) so 12 on the pit & wrapped for 3hrs @ 275.

Thanks ultramag..The rope gasket really sealed things up. Now I need to seal the firebox.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky