First real smoke on Smoke N' Pit

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by cajun_1, Jul 22, 2007.

1. cajun_1

cajun_1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Well did some extra mods to this thing. Moved smoke stack and sealed 99.9% of the leaks. Have a little problem keeping it around 250* but low n slow is the name of the game.
    Doing 2 Picnic Shoulders. Started about 6:30 this morning and 1 is sitting at 148* already. The other 1 is not far behind. Using Pecan/Pear.

Also threw in acouple pics of some of the tamater plants around the house,

2. low&slow

low&slow Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Nice smoker! The grub looks great. I also have a hard time keeping mine at 250. I found that if you add about 12 charcoal lumps straight on the hot coals every hour then your temp will stay around 225-250.
    I like the way you modded the stack. Did you cut a hole in the side for the new stack? Ive been thinking of doing the same to mine.
    I did a brisket last night (the all night smoke) and I used almost a whole BIG bag of charcoal.

3. gypsyseagod

gypsyseagod Master of the Pit OTBS Member

looks great so far. nice pit btw,i may have to do that stack mod myself.

4. cajun_1

Thanks low&slow for the 411 on keeping the temp up. I'll try that on my next smoke. Yes, I cut a hole in the side. used a 2 3/4 " hole saw, then used a file to make it a hair bigger so the old stack would fit. A 3" hole is to big. (Must have something to do with metric). I was able to keep the warming rack in tact. Just wrapped 1 of the shoulders a few minutes ago at 160*. Noticed I have already used a whole bag of Royal Oak. Other shoulder is at 152*.

5. ultramag

ultramag SMF Events Planning Committee

Looks like the mods on your pit came out pretty good cajun. Food looks good as usual as well.

6. gypsyseagod

gypsyseagod Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i founda trick yesterday doingthat big(almost 50 lbs of meat) cook. flip the coal bed in the main chamber highest(left) to lowest(right),use strictly chunks after the 1st initial(5-8lb coal) of mesquite or hickory)oak burns hot too,a 1/2 full water pan- a disposable turkey pan. i used approx 2 bags of skeet chunks & 10 lbs of sam's club bigger brickey's for the whole 12 hr cook. yes i cheated & finished the brisket in the oven- it was a 15 lb packer & i didn't start the fire until 11 am( i slept late) so 12 on the pit & wrapped for 3hrs @ 275.

7. cajun_1

Thanks ultramag..The rope gasket really sealed things up. Now I need to seal the firebox.