First Go At Bacon On A Stick !!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have done Bears step by step on these only I wet cured them in pink salt instead of TQ Yours look better than mine I going to try it again only this time I'll be doing a dry cure with TQ and brown sugar. My last ones tasted real good but if your tasted as good as they look then yours tasted better than mine.

Hey Randy, this is my first go at these. They were real good.. I thank you for the kind words, but I think yours look real tasty. I would have to do the cure#1 to give a comparison.

Justin, those look AMAZING!  :drool:
points1.png

Thank you Ray, sure do appreciate it & the point !

They were good, but I am definitely going to go with TQ next time. Yours look tender and juicy, mine were not dry but not juicy either and not tuff but not tender either just kind of in between if that makes sense?

Randy,

About how long did you smoke them? Do you know what internal temp they were at when they were done?

Randy,

Randy, on these they were at 225* in the smoker til probe tender... I didn't go by IT on these. They were on for bout 5 1/2 to 6 hours. Hope that helps.

They were good, but I am definitely going to go with TQ next time. Yours look tender and juicy, mine were not dry but not juicy either and not tuff but not tender either just kind of in between if that makes sense?

Randy,

Yea, that does make sense. Just curious if ya went by IT or how exactly ya cooked them? I may be off base here but sounds like they were possibly under cooked? Again, I may be wrong but that's kinda what it sounds like to me.

Last edited:
That would also be my guess, cured meat acts different than raw uncured meat, it also could have been the meat itself as I recall it didn't have a lot of fat content. I cooked them at 225 for 6 hours but I think next time I'll go by internal temp now that I have one of those instant read temp pens that is deadly accurate. All I need know is what temp to cook them to? Normally I would go to 195 but that's for incited ribs. I'm not sure about the internal temp of cured ribs. Maybe there is no difference other than flavor, I don't know? I have tried to juge when my ribs are done by pull back and bend or by twisting a bone but nothing seems as accurate as my temp pen for testing the doneness of any cut of meat.

Randy,

That would also be my guess, cured meat acts different than raw uncured meat, it also could have been the meat itself as I recall it didn't have a lot of fat content. I cooked them at 225 for 6 hours but I think next time I'll go by internal temp now that I have one of those instant read temp pens that is deadly accurate. All I need know is what temp to cook them to? Normally I would go to 195 but that's for incited ribs. I'm not sure about the internal temp of cured ribs. Maybe there is no difference other than flavor, I don't know? I have tried to juge when my ribs are done by pull back and bend or by twisting a bone but nothing seems as accurate as my temp pen for testing the doneness of any cut of meat.

Randy,
Personally I like to do about a 3-3-0 so they get nice & moist, and I don't worry what the IT is.

I think you'll find the TQ Dry cure a better flavor, as it's not soaking in mostly water for days.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky