First full Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dobson156

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Firstly following this thread:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...sustain-big-fire-modification-project.287777/

...I made most of the mods to my Reverse Smoker turning it into a traditional offset.

I decided buy/mod this thing so I could try and cook a brisket, having visited Texas (from the UK) I was hooked on smoked Brisket.

Yz1KAre.jpg

SQRmd8x.jpg

So I decided to try and smoke a full Brisket. It's not a hugely common cut in the UK so I had to order it online.

vbxlthT.jpg

Ok, this thing is huge, only just fit on the block. I was little concerned that it didn't have the really thick fat cap that I see on American cuts - but I think that's normal for grass fed beef - which most British & Irish beef is.

It was 5kg before some very light trimming so I lit my fire at 4.30 and stuck it on the smoker an hour later. I was hoping to be done at for like 6 or 7 - how wrong I was!

XBCuXnT.jpg

My first time opening the cooking chamber 4hrs later! I gave it a quick spritz, topped up the water pan and cracked on (I repeated this ever hour until wrapping).

KXuWxCr.jpg

After 8hours I wrapped the brisket in butcher paper (sorry no photo).

Unfortunately this is where the problems kicked in. I was fully prepared for the stall - I knew it was coming I wasn't ready for quite how long it was going to take to over come. Basically my brisket hit something like 64C around the time I wrapped it. But after that it crawled up. I was expecting to be done at 6 or 7. But I'd only hit 70 by like 9.

I all honesty I was starting to really struggle to maintain the fire. In the early hours I had established a bit of a groove and I was just adding new sticks every 20mins or so. But ass the charcoal that I used to start it dwindled by coal be ebbed way and I was having to micro manage the fire feeding it basically kindling - I have another post on this issue alone:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/a-few-more-mods-advice-needed.290608/

It was 9pm and I had people over who were getting hungry. I am not very happy about it but I did finish the last 1hr in my normal domestic electric-fan oven. It was wrapped at this point so I think bulk of the flavour had been obtained.

Anyway here are the results:

fDWIHBl.jpg
RwJ2Vre.jpg
Q9utxzn.jpg

I am super happy with how the brisket turned out. The flat was possibly a tiny bit dry, but a few of the guests said they actually preferred the flavour of the point. I am a massive fan of the cross sections where the two muscles overlapped - so I was really happy with how tender the very middle section of that was.

The smoke wasn't over powering at all and the bark was decent too - I'd probably hold off wrapping it for longer next time and perhaps use a tiny bit more seasoning.

Plenty of things to learn for next time, but I really want to nail the fire management and the design of the smoker - the easier I can make it the more often I can do these smokes in my otherwise very busy schedule.

Thanks so much to all the users of this forum who have helped me so far!

Firstly following this thread:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...sustain-big-fire-modification-project.287777/

...I made most of the mods to my Reverse Smoker turning it into a traditional offset.

I decided buy/mod this thing so I could try and cook a brisket, having visited Texas (from the UK) I was hooked on smoked Brisket.

Yz1KAre.jpg

SQRmd8x.jpg

So I decided to try and smoke a full Brisket. It's not a hugely common cut in the UK so I had to order it online.

vbxlthT.jpg

Ok, this thing is huge, only just fit on the block. I was little concerned that it didn't have the really thick fat cap that I see on American cuts - but I think that's normal for grass fed beef - which most British & Irish beef is.

It was 5kg before some very light trimming so I lit my fire at 4.30 and stuck it on the smoker an hour later. I was hoping to be done at for like 6 or 7 - how wrong I was!

XBCuXnT.jpg

My first time opening the cooking chamber 4hrs later! I gave it a quick spritz, topped up the water pan and cracked on (I repeated this ever hour until wrapping).

KXuWxCr.jpg

After 8hours I wrapped the brisket in butcher paper (sorry no photo).

Unfortunately this is where the problems kicked in. I was fully prepared for the stall - I knew it was coming I wasn't ready for quite how long it was going to take to over come. Basically my brisket hit something like 64C around the time I wrapped it. But after that it crawled up. I was expecting to be done at 6 or 7. But I'd only hit 70 by like 9.

I all honesty I was starting to really struggle to maintain the fire. In the early hours I had established a bit of a groove and I was just adding new sticks every 20mins or so. But ass the charcoal that I used to start it dwindled by coal be ebbed way and I was having to micro manage the fire feeding it basically kindling - I have another post on this issue alone:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/a-few-more-mods-advice-needed.290608/

It was 9pm and I had people over who were getting hungry. I am not very happy about it but I did finish the last 1hr in my normal domestic electric-fan oven. It was wrapped at this point so I think bulk of the flavour had been obtained.

Anyway here are the results:

fDWIHBl.jpg
RwJ2Vre.jpg
Q9utxzn.jpg

I am super happy with how the brisket turned out. The flat was possibly a tiny bit dry, but a few of the guests said they actually preferred the flavour of the point. I am a massive fan of the cross sections where the two muscles overlapped - so I was really happy with how tender the very middle section of that was.

The smoke wasn't over powering at all and the bark was decent too - I'd probably hold off wrapping it for longer next time and perhaps use a tiny bit more seasoning.

Plenty of things to learn for next time, but I really want to nail the fire management and the design of the smoker - the easier I can make it the more often I can do these smokes in my otherwise very busy schedule.

Thanks so much to all the users of this forum who have helped me so far!

Hi there and welcome!

Great looking brisket!
Yeah a brisket will teach you a few things.

If you want better bark don't wrap and don't spritz the brisket will be ok.
Also know that at a constant 135C/275F smoking temperature you can expect a little over 1 hr a pound or so for cooking time. Understand thought that the brisket is done when it passes the tenderness test not based on time... that time guideline is for planning purposes.

Finally, always try to finish the brisket smoke about 4 hours before eating. With the timing info I gave you it makes it easy to shoot for a 4 hour early finishing time. If you finish early you just wrap the brisket in 2 layers of foil and then with 3 bath towels and set it on the counter. It will be piping hot 4-5 hours later when it is time to slice, serve, and eat.
If it doesn't finish 4 hours early well you have 4 hours of extra time to save your butt and hopefully it finishes in time lol.

I hope this info helps and I look forward to seeing your next brisket post! :)

Hi there and welcome!

Great looking brisket!
Yeah a brisket will teach you a few things.

If you want better bark don't wrap and don't spritz the brisket will be ok.
Also know that at a constant 135C/275F smoking temperature you can expect a little over 1 hr a pound or so for cooking time. Understand thought that the brisket is done when it passes the tenderness test not based on time... that time guideline is for planning purposes.

Finally, always try to finish the brisket smoke about 4 hours before eating. With the timing info I gave you it makes it easy to shoot for a 4 hour early finishing time. If you finish early you just wrap the brisket in 2 layers of foil and then with 3 bath towels and set it on the counter. It will be piping hot 4-5 hours later when it is time to slice, serve, and eat.
If it doesn't finish 4 hours early well you have 4 hours of extra time to save your butt and hopefully it finishes in time lol.

I hope this info helps and I look forward to seeing your next brisket post! :)

Great advice. Yeah I definitely will be starting WAY earlier next time.

I think one of the reasons it really over ran is because I was cooking at 120C rather 135 like you say and it would have a tendency to dip. I'll figure out it out eventually!

This was my first brisket so I went on the safe side with the spritzing - I'll do that a bit less next time the bark was still great!

I'm so impressed Dobson. Really, that's a solid brisket. It has the look. Thing of beauty. You're going to start a revolution in the UK.

Great advice. Yeah I definitely will be starting WAY earlier next time.

I think one of the reasons it really over ran is because I was cooking at 120C rather 135 like you say and it would have a tendency to dip. I'll figure out it out eventually!

This was my first brisket so I went on the safe side with the spritzing - I'll do that a bit less next time the bark was still great!

Also know that a brisket (pork butt/shoulder a well) doesn't really care what temp you cook it at. If your temp swings are high it will be fine as long as you aren't flaming up on it or anything and even then it would be fine as long as it doesn't get burnt up lol.

Remember that "if your lookin your not cookin" hahaha. Everytime you open the smoker to spritz you have to catch back up on the heat build up. If you open it every our you are effectively causing major temp swings and prolonging the cook.

Keep at it. Keep all the tips and tricks in mind and you will get a method down that works for your setup :)

Also know that a brisket (pork butt/shoulder a well) doesn't really care what temp you cook it at.

Good point. I think there is a bit too much fetishism about the minute details. The actually cook was "relatively" easy - it was the fire management that was hard.

Remember that "if your lookin your not cookin" hahaha.

Absolutely, I certainly avoided opening too frequently. Once an hour for the spritz (which I'll do less often next time) and once to wrap.

I don't think this is why it took so long - I think it has more to do with the fire.

Keep at it. Keep all the tips and tricks in mind and you will get a method down that works for your setup :)

Thanks!

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky