First Butt of the Season!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kurt boutin

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Southern NH
Using Killer Hogs BBQ Rub and smoking at 275 with an amaz-n-tube. Camp Chef pellet grill with Apple pellets.
7dJp07I97rwMAFM3HQEWOXITV5zassX9-abhL_5ubOI0qCwuvnh7C69HoY-yGFFKsuvYjaVmjtsozavwoEPfL1DuhBCs1L-ZnjW_-3ZFlSQHlIzBrp2y4YC2Ah0xbFSQ6hkQOreQ79VJs86EITvEs9MjJM1p80qub0UmJlOfnB4xEoCclCndNjpvul5soiecaOF7JMjxesBkNrfLuPIsomKEaGaINZGbOW5Oglnqz68UyQHzIcEnDntmK9Fs0CfmrXnBCkOIRB5aUPrd0CrVppeVOnu_sMK23FTedDdbI1DskJEot01iwnT3c-dqLPDPAXY446mS62yAkTo3HqvfrNyYgGplWKWldPjj0fdbgBaIvTcEFMY5o5QJU9w89ULr3-usCa-V5LqFrZtrDgvopQ8xzLAdBKmpZJIJCR8NuN1EvWC0OxNWnL0X1xS6U_JywYiLh1rtELcHd2EN6IGk3273OElWjjESpna-PULCUwtKBttKKFy4d0xugjukcnn45wXVf5V7hKQqjmHRSAZfKrYBhsKKVMPWLLw47sAp9gJGOZOaR9p_sUo7RRsrt43Fyog8YEiIs20qk6VXhcKxrl09NelhgcNKdagU2e4-AxcwDyEYzuKkcSXtW7gc5iFsqb97ChWmY5dtXZ4FV92u61lZNA=w1429-h888-no

Attachments

• IMG_20190331_090031.jpg
    IMG_20190331_090031.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: bassthumb32
Oh, yeah, I plan on NO foiling for this one...It occurred to me that this was the first one on my pellet smoker, so I want to go full time and see how it goes.

Looking great, I haven't foiled any butts yet and I never have, its a steaming/time saver that's not needed to cook if you have time and a good piece of meat imo, nothing wrong on using it but lots of ways to cook

Sounds like a plan. However I don't see your pic?

Chris

It's posted now. Looks like a good start. Enjoy it.

Chris

Foiling is definitely the way to NOT go. Save the foil to hold the meat till eating time.

Must be Butt Day! I threw a 9 pounder on at about 7:30 this morning. Haven't decided whether I will foil in a pan or not. I like doing it that way so I can defat all the juices and add them after the pull.

I will do stuff in a foil pan sometimes to catch the dripping, I put in a cooling rack to hold the meat out of the liquid and making it soggy, just a thing I came up with trying to get better at what I love lol

This foiling your are talking about, is that after the butt is pulled?
I pull mine from the smoker, wrap in foil and place in a cooler covered with a couple towels for 30 minutes to an hour. Would this method cause the bark to not be as crisp?

Are you suggesting setting the butt on a cooling rack placed in a foil pan?

Nice looking butt. I’m looking forward to trying some killer hogs products, haven’t had the chance yet. I’m sure it will turn out great. I think you get so much more flavor and better bark without foiling. Keep us posted on how it turns out!

This foiling your are talking about, is that after the butt is pulled?
I pull mine from the smoker, wrap in foil and place in a cooler covered with a couple towels for 30 minutes to an hour. Would this method cause the bark to not be as crisp?

Are you suggesting setting the butt on a cooling rack placed in a foil pan?
Myself I will pan and cover with foil when the butt gets desired bark usually 170-180. Then pull when I get good bone wiggle. Usually 195-210

Kurt
Nice looking pork butt.

So, I didn't have any after Q-View...The pork came out fine, but I had a snag along the way... ran out of pellets...or rather, the smoker did...I had plenty left. I was checking the temp every half hour and it had gotten up to 182...next time I checked, I had a flame out. Tried to get the smoker back up to temp, but it took too long, so I pulled it. I know it's edible...bone came out clean (though not as slidy-out as usual), but it's not the way I wanted to end the smoke. Tastes delicious though. :)

Well, my pork butt ended up not so great. Started at 5 am at 225 deg, temp outside 27 deg. Within an hour the wind picked up and it was truly chilly out there and the smoker struggled to keep up with the temp. 7 hours later butt still was not up to 165 so I could foil and speed it up. Friends were coming for dinner at 4 so I cranked up the temp to 250 and it took forever to get up to 160 or so. I decided to wrap in foil and get out of the miserable wind by putting in the oven at 250. At 2 pm still only up to 184 deg so I cranked up the heat in the oven to 275 and later on as it got closer to dinner time to 285. It finally made it to 203 only a few minutes before the hungry (starving) guests were ready to eat. Since everyone was starving, and fearing a riot, only rested for 15 minutes and pulled.

Bottom line, no bark, not as tender as I expected, too little smoke flavor,and did not taste as good as I expected. But guests said it was delicious (??). I made stove top creamy mac and cheese and that came out really delicious.

I did learn a few things and my next butt will be better I'm sure and it won't be in 27 deg windy weather!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky