First Brisket! Can it rest ALL Day?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishin33

Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
I just completed my first brisket and SMF was invaluable for questions and resources. I had a 14lb brisket from Costco that was never frozen and I ended up having to cut it in half as it wouldn't fit in the Master Forge propane smoker. I used Jeff's newsletter as a guide and plan on making burnt ends out of the point.

So the brisket went in about 4:45 yesterday afternoon and I was allowing 20 hours or so based on weight. Since it was cut in half it didn't take near as long as I had imagined and the flat was done at 4:30this morning and the point just came off now at 7am. both are wrapped in foil pretty tight and then in blankets in my Yeti cooler. I've seen plenty of posts claiming 6-8 hours should be no problem to let them rest that long - but what about from lets call it 5 am to 5pm on the flat? A 12 hour rest? Or should I probaly take it out and put it in the ice box and reheat it when dinner gets here?

Thanks for the advice! I didn't think to take pics so sorry there's no Q-view!!

12 Hours in a cooler is a long time. If your oven goes down to 150*F you can put the tightly foiled Beef in there as long as you need. Common restaurant technique...JJ

Last edited:
Yep, as JJ said ... here's a BBQ Shack hint :

Wrap , first  , in Plastic wrap ( a good seal of it), then the foil... it'll be like Braising it, but very tender. Do not add liquid to it , there's enough in the meat, let it sit  still wrapped for 20-30min. then cut .

You may not even have to have any 'sauce'  :)-

Stan , enjoy...

You guys are making me hungry.........
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky