First Attempts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backsmokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Rhode Island
Meat is in the cure, hoping for reasonable weather!

Here's the plan.

I took my beautiful 6lb pork belly out of the freezer, cut it into two equal portions and have started it in the Maple Bacon cure from Charcuterie. I also have started about 4 lbs of hocks curing also with the Charcuterie recipe. Everything should be ready to come out of the brine by this Friday night or Saturday morning. That gives me up to 24 hours to air dry with smoke day on Sunday.

The smoking plan is to hot smoke one of the bellies and the hocks to an internal of 150F. The second belly is getting cold smoked for 6-8 hrs. I also thinking I might put one of the hock pieces in the cold smoke just for the heck of it. If everything works out, I should get a nice pellicle on all pieces on Saturday then smoking on Sunday. I've read several methods of getting the pellicle done faster than air drying but I would love thoughts about using my Excalibur Dehydrator on a low heat setting to do this if I need to. 

Qview will be coming, 

Before starting, I would like to thank everyone who gave me advice, sage experience and encouragement. This is a great forum with great people in it.

After starting the cures I mentioned in the original post, Last Friday evening the meat came out of the cure.

My assistant looks on

Into the Fridge Saturday morning. 

Ready for the cold smoke. First time using this a-maze-ing little thing. Sort of nervous about it. Using maple sawdust. We shall see.

Now for the hot smoke pieces. Hock are on the lower rack, belly is on the top. Using pecan chips that were part of my Christmas present  from my daughters this year. Do I have awesome daughters or what?

Results!

Hot smoked bacon and hocks. Very pretty!

Bacon!

I so crave pea soup right now!

Wish the pic was better but this is my cold smoked piece of belly. 7 1/2 hrs over that AMSG! Amazing on it's own but the temp was perfect. OK - I was a sceptic. Not one any longer. This thing works!

Taste test results. 

Hocks will be later - need to prepare a bit more for them.

The bacon however, who could resist!

Both were fried to proper crispness. Each tasted so good yet so different. The cold smoked piece was much more like what I think of as bacon. The hot smoked piece was harder to place. It reminded me of a pork belly confit that I once had but with a beautiful smoke element.

I will do the duel method again for sure! Can't wait to try the hocks.

Those Hocks are to drool for!!!
drool.gif
Be sure and post the final products made with them. I can think of a couple dozen great recipes right now!!!

The Bacon looks Great too!!  I have found that Cold smoked bacon rocks!!
xrocker.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky