First Attempt at Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SeaBass1983

Original poster
May 13, 2018
Lansing, MI
Hi All,
My old gas grill rusted completely out this past winter so it was time for me to upgrade.
I've always been interested in smoking meats but never had the opportunity or space on my deck for 2 grills.
I decided to go with the Oklahoma Joe 3 in 1 Combo grill, as it was at a good price point and it still had a gas side for those nights I want to be lazy and cook dinner in 10 minutes.

This is my first attempt at smoking anything.
I watched a couple of you tube videos and figured that wings would be pretty easy for a first timer.

I bought the full wings from my grocery store and broke it down into flats and drums. I threw the tips away.

I marinated them in Oil and Bone Suckin' Sauce Seasoning & Rub that I bought at Lowes.
After a couple of hours I pulled them out and seasoned them again with the same rub on both sides.

As far as the smoking goes, I used a chimney of charcoal and pecan wood chunks.
I tried my best to keep it between 250 and 275 for the duration of the cook.
I had to add more briquettes and wood multiple times throughout the hour and 1/2 cook.
It seemed to bounce around a lot and I'm guessing it is because of the smoke leaking out of the lid and losing heat.

In the end, I put them on the gas side for a minute or 2 to crisp up the skin, so it was not rubbery.

Here is a picture of the grill and the wings.
I think they turned out really well, and they taste delicious.

New Grill.jpeg Wings.jpeg

Any input on cheap recipes or how to control the temperature better would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to SMF SeaBass...

Absolutely stellar way to shoot out of the smoking gate. Great rig and stellar first go at it!

Pat

There are several people on here that have that same grill. I’m sure they will be along to offer any mod recommendations. As for the cook goes it looks great. Nice job on you first smoke. Get ready. It gets addicting

Don't you just love this country. You can buy a 2x4, a toilet bowl and BBQ seasoning all at the same store. Seabass those wings look fantastic. Nicely done. As for help with the temps. If your using straight up charcoal then I think people have made a charcoal basket out of expanded metal to help. If using splits then possible a bed of coals with the splits on top. Let us know how it goes.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thank you all for the kind messages.
I looked through different mods and have done a couple so far.
I picked up some of the RTV Silicone and a Lavalock Lid gasket set from BBQ Smoker Mods.
I have also extended the chimney down to grate level.

I plan on smoking more this week. I'll post pictures.

Thanks!

Reactions: Traeger.Rage.BBQ
Congrats on the new rig. Wings look fantastic!

Dcecil is right...its addicting and you will be smoking every weekend before you know it! Try a butt next...also very forgiving for beginners!

Wow! Those wings look great! Way to make an intro Seabass!
I don't know your smoker very well, but I would start with a full chimney to begin with (with chunks mixed in) for that size of smoker, then add a half dozen more lit ones minion method on top of the unlit coals. You will find where your vents like to be on the fire box to keep your temp where you want and leave the top vent open if possible. And just try to keep the door closed and no peeking! With a new smoker I know that has to be hard!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky