Finally Some Shad Roe (w-Bacon & Eggs)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank You Jim!!
No mounting---Shad aren't anything pretty, and they all run about between 19" and 26". They actually look like Giant "Shiner" Minnows.
I think he's going to finally do a pair of Replicas of the Big Trout he caught years ago in NY. It was a Buck @ 31 1/2", and a Roe @ 29 1/2". We have a lot of close-up pics of them, and he's going to get his Wife Bethany to do the painting.
And Thanks for the Like.

BTW: He froze the bodies, to be thawed & cut into chunks for bait for the Huge Flathead Catfish that are taking over in PA.

Bear

Side note - those big flatheads are the BEST tasting catfish on the planet. 10lb and up are the ones I prefer. The meat is so clean and not fishy at all. I've had people swear that I was feeding them some kind of flaky chicken, not fish. To get the REALLY big ones, a live shad or hand sized bream is the ticket!!!!

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Informative and fun read as always Bear, the thread is a fun read too! Ive never had Shad before, but grew up eating a lot of Sheep Head row from Lake Okoboji. The roe looks very similar and my dad always fried it up on a CI in butter, I cant say that I ever developed a taste for it though!

Side note - those big flatheads are the BEST tasting catfish on the planet. 10lb and up are the ones I prefer. The meat is so clean and not fishy at all. I've had people swear that I was feeding them some kind of flaky chicken, not fish. To get the REALLY big ones, a live shad or hand sized bream is the ticket!!!!

Thank You Hijack!!
GonnaSmoke told me those things too, about Flatheads.
Bear Jr is just getting started on them, because they're relatively new to PA.

Bear

It'll soon be time to catch some shad. We get a shad run every year...

Yup---Every year, when the water Temp is just right !!

Bear

Informative and fun read as always Bear, the thread is a fun read too! Ive never had Shad before, but grew up eating a lot of Sheep Head row from Lake Okoboji. The roe looks very similar and my dad always fried it up on a CI in butter, I cant say that I ever developed a taste for it though!

Thank You Jed!!
My Dad was the best Hunter & Fisherman I ever knew, so we 4 kids got introduced to these types of things very early in our lives, and even my Sisters loved it!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky