Finally got a Lang!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That looks like a Sweet Find! That's A Lot of Smoker to fill. Congrats...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
Congratulations Jeff! Your patience paid off bigtime, that unit will serve you well for years to come. RAY

Congrats on the new smoker. Take a close look at the welds at the rear corners of the firebox [side attached to rear trailer rail] . Those welds are know to crack due to stress.

RG

1605885577683.png

Wicked cool find Jeff!!! Looking forward to seeing it in action

Chris

Congrats on the new smoker. Take a close look at the welds at the rear corners of the firebox [side attached to rear trailer rail] . Those welds are know to crack due to stress.

RG
Do you mean the welds of the firebox to the cooking chamber. The corners I can see appears like the welds are solid. Pretty close to impossible to see between the tank and warmer

Do you mean the welds of the firebox to the cooking chamber. The corners I can see appears like the welds are solid. Pretty close to impossible to see between the tank and warmer
Look close on those corners. If they aren't cracked then good for you. Those early Langs had the firebox rear directly welded to the trailer c channel. That did not allow it to move when heated. I've seen a few with hairline cracks. Doesn't effect the cooker.

RG

Congrats Jeff I know you've been looking for awhile and looks like it paid off. That is the same model I have looks like the same generation to. Good luck with doing anything with the firebox that is going to last. I had mine sandblasted once don't bother anymore I just wire brush it with either drill or grinder attached wire wheel and hand do the tight areas and spray it with spray paint when I get tired of looking at the rust. I think you could paint it every year and your still going to see rust on it in between paint jobs but it's thick metal that surface rust doesn't have much effect on the thing. I did have a weld between the firebox and tank break and have to be re-welded that was a dirty job even after pressure washing the thing. Post up some pics of what you do to it and of course some smokes

jcam222 jcam222 we need an update! Are you feeling better? Have you had a chance to fire it up yet?
Feeing better, thanks for asking. Have not had a chance between work and rain. I am going to have it sandblasted and painted soon. I also am having a small area where the diverter meets the tank on the firebox end repaired. It’s about a finger wide gap the length of the curve on one side. The diverter is solid underneath other than right there. I crawled in the firebox and looked back in with a light. I did clean two shoeboxes of old ash out of the firebox and another shoebox full out of the cooking chamber under the diverter. I think it spent some time outside with the nose up and rained in the stack. I covered the stack with a garbage bag. Ot
A35C5FCA-BA02-49FB-B43B-A82AD5EC76F4.jpeg
1A901F94-C669-4152-BC8F-8FE6EC9D173B.jpeg
her than that the diverter is solid with just a little surface rust. A lot of guys on the Lang FB group said it’s likely less than $300 to have a metal shop do a nice patch job.

Feeing better, thanks for asking. Have not had a chance between work and rain. I am going to have it sandblasted and painted soon. I also am having a small area where the diverter meets the tank on the firebox end repaired. It’s about a finger wide gap the length of the curve on one side. The diverter is solid underneath other than right there. I crawled in the firebox and looked back in with a light. I did clean two shoeboxes of old ash out of the firebox and another shoebox full out of the cooking chamber under the diverter. I think it spent some time outside with the nose up and rained in the stack. I covered the stack with a garbage bag. OtView attachment 472864View attachment 472865her than that the diverter is solid with just a little surface rust. A lot of guys on the Lang FB group said it’s likely less than $300 to have a metal shop do a nice patch job.
Glad to hear you are feeling better. Bummer about needing to do some repairs. Hopefully you can find a decent local shop.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky