minor rust treatment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbruce

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 5, 2022
I've got some minor rust on the top of my firebox. Everybody does right! Anyway, I want to nip it in the bud. Here's my plan:

1. phosphoric acid to convert rust
2. blast off with pressure washer
3. immediately dry with a weed burner
4. thin coat of peanut oil
5. weed burner to polymerize (faster, more effective than building a hot fire)

Let me know if you've done the same, or if you don't think this will work, why.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I’m guessing you chose peanut oil for the high smoke point? I have gone a different direction for my projects. I use flax oil for the low smoke point. I know I am able to convert it all to a good coat. If you have challenges with the peanut oil, this may be another option. Good luck.

Reactions: jbruce
I've always just taken some fine sandpaper to it and then hit it with some high-temp paint to protect it.

It took about a pint of phosphoric acid (85%) diluted 50/50 with water to get rid of all my rust. It's a slow process and it took me multiple coats and a little elbow grease. The surface goes from rust to black to shiny silver before it's ready. Anything black is either paint or rust.

After the surface was rust free, I rinsed with water, and hit it quickly with a weed burner. This works fine, but you gotta move fast.

Next is a thin coat of peanut oil and blast it with the weed burner until it goes from slick and wet to smokey to grey and dry. Let it cool.

Apply a final thin coat of oil.

This whole process took me about 4 hours for my smoker which is pretty big. You need to be delicate with the weed burner and cooking grates. I have diamond grates and they warp under high heat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky