Favorite Movies Thread...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A couple more right up there. American Graffiti and the Wanderers

Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
Kingdom of Heaven was pretty good - the scene near the end where Balian of Ibelin asks Saladin: "What is Jerusalem worth?" and Saladin answers: "Nothing" then takes a few steps and turns and says: "Everything" (victoriously) - says everything there is to say about the futility of humanity.

How about City of Industry - Harvey Keitel was great in that one!

Favorite movie: Repo Man
Favorite western: High Plains Drifter
Runner up: Saving Private Ryan

I'm posting this before I read through the rest of the posts, but I'm a fan of Payback with Mel Gibson, and I could watch Sling Blade with Billy Bob Thornton five or six times a year and never get tired of it.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Wow, nice thread…. And hard to narrow down… hopefully this isn’t too many!? 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

- Tombstone
- Grumpy Old Men
- The Sandlot
- Last of the Dogmen
- Tommy Boy
- Happy Gilmore
- Remember The Titans
- A Christmas Story and NL Christmas Vacation seasonally.

Also, my wife put on a show the other night randomly! It really hits home about the world we live in today… definitely worth a watch especially for anyone concerned about kids… It’s called Finding Faith… highly recommended!

Last edited:
Favorite movie: Repo Man
Favorite western: High Plains Drifter
2nd favorite: Saving Private Ryan
Honorable mention: Blazing Saddles

Anything before the 2007 writers strike. I think any of the good writers just retired and we were left with who just wanted more money.

My Favorites I can watch again and again

Star Wars 4-7
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Cast Away
Forrest Gump
Apollo 13
Bravehart
The Patriot
Gladiator
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
Red Dawn
Youngblood
Wally
The Fifth Element
The Teminator 1-3
Spirited Away
Mad Max 1-3
Indiana Jones 1-3
Back to the future 1-3

I guess the saying they just don't make them like they use to rings true.

Ive got a few that top my list

Pulp Fiction, you either love it or you hate it

Resevior Dog, same as above. Big fan of Quentin Tarantino's movies

Shawshank Redemption, if its on and I see it, Im watching it.

House of a 1000 Corpses, love a good wtf horror movie and this ranks up there as that

Star Wars 4-7, the rest of them, ehh

Reactions: Oldguy68
Soooo many choices

Hidden Figures
The Martian with Matt Damon
John Wick 1-4
Saving Private Ryan
All the Star Wars movies
All the Star Trek movies

TV shows
Stargate SG1 and Atlantis
Star Trek
Big Bang Theory
Supernatural
Madame Secretary

I guess the saying they just don't make them like they use to rings true.
Rescripting popular movies, renaming them, and promoting them as new seems to be the Hollywood formula these days, but it started a while ago. Originality is rare. Two recent exceptions are:

Three Thousand Years of Longing
Everything Everywhere All at Once.

It was enjoyable to watch something original the one time I saw them.

There are a lot of original plot foreign language movies, but I'm generally not a fan of dubbing, and subtitles are distracting.

So many good movies to pick from I hate to pick a favorite. Many listed before I posted are easily top of the charts. Hollywood once upon a time produced a quality product.
I have a few movies that I can watch over and over, one being the Outlaw Jose Wales. True Grit (John Wayne not Bridges..) is another. For what it's worth, I love me some Jackie Gleason in Smokey and the Bandit, so enjoy your diablo sammich!

I stumbled across an old one yesterday that I had forgotten about . " Man in the wilderness " Richard Harris . Based on a true story . The Revenant tells the same story .
Seeing Richard Harris made me think of another one of his that I just watched on Prime .
" Man called Horse " Both good movies .

Reactions: Retired Spook
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky