Father's Day Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Monroe, NC USA
Hello everyone! I decided to make my Father and Brother ( who is a father of three) some father's day ribs. I made my Dad some baby backs and my brother a couple racks of spares. I got the baby backs cheap and the spares cheaper! Here is the pics of the process. At the end i used a new sauce modified from a recipe i came up with a couple years ago. I will provide the recipe.

Here are the baby backs with mustard coating and a coating of the rub.

The rub i used is Weber Chicken n' Rib rub. its a sweet rub but very tasty.

Here are the spares with the same coating

here are the three racks on the smoker starting at 230 degrees.

Here are the three racks after about an hour and a half,

Held a consistent temp of about 225-235 the entire smoke.

I wrapped the baby backs for about 45 minutes after 2:15 hours of smoke.

Then i brushed on my sauce and let set up for 30 minutes. 

Here is the final product.

I smoked the spares for 2:45 hours and wrapped for 1:15. in the wrap i put a water ac vinegar mix.(50/50). then 30 minutes of sauce.

then the smoke ring. here is a profile shot of the Baby Backs when we were eating them!

Everyone loved the ribs! I think the flavors and tenderness were a product of a consistent temperature throughout the smoke. (225-235)

Everyone also loved the sauce.

#5 sauce (modified)

1 cup ketchup
1/2 stick butter (use real)
1/4 cup molasses
1/8 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
2 TBS red raspberry jam ( can substitute any jam, jelly or preserves)
1/4 TBS kosher salt
1/2 TBS black Pepper
1/2 TBS garlic powder

1/2 TBS onion powder
2 TBS sweet paprika

bring to low boil (on firebox!) and let simmer 10-15 minutes stir thoroughly. let sit in fridge 1-2 hours.

Well thanks for looking. Hope everyone had a good father's day!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

Man oh man. I was just sitting here, looking at my computer screen, when I glanced at those pics and my stomach started rumbling.  Great looking ribs! 
points1.png

Thanks for sharing man. Looking tasty!  Interesting you used Weber rub.....I did the same this weekend.  It was on sale actually, so I bet a bunch of folks did.  :)

Cheers!

Man oh man. I was just sitting here, looking at my computer screen, when I glanced at those pics and my stomach started rumbling.  Great looking ribs! 
points1.png
thank you sir!

They were some tasty ribs!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

Thanks for sharing man. Looking tasty!  Interesting you used Weber rub.....I did the same this weekend.  It was on sale actually, so I bet a bunch of folks did.  :)

Cheers!
You are welcome!

Yeah i bought that Weber rub a while back and pulled it out for a kabob party a few weeks ago and was out of my normal stuff and said ya know i think this will taste good. got a second opinion from the boss, she said use that it smells good! so we used it and it tasted awesome!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

You are welcome!
Yeah i bought that Weber rub a while back and pulled it out for a kabob party a few weeks ago and was out of my normal stuff and said ya know i think this will taste good. got a second opinion from the boss, she said use that it smells good! so we used it and it tasted awesome!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Unfortunately for me, my rub choice could have been better. I think I used "kickin chickin"...sounded good and tasted good but ended up too spicey once finished. I guess another try is in order!

Those are good looking ribs, Makes mr want to do some now.... lol, Maybe end of week, see how work goes.... Point for the ribs....

Nice job, those ribs look delicious. Never tried the Weber rubs before, I use the McCormick rubs.

Points!!! 
points.gif
I have found several of the Weber rubs and seasonings to be very good. Chicago Steak is my new favorite beef seasoning.

Thanks for the points!

phatbac (Aaron)

Those are good looking ribs, Makes mr want to do some now.... lol, Maybe end of week, see how work goes.... Point for the ribs....
thank you. if my bbq makes you do your bbq then that is a high compliment!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky