Eyeing a WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yup..... pork doesn't pull untill about 190° internal temp, a lot of folks go till 200°+. Grats on the new toy and deck! Nothing like a new WSM to keep you busy for a while!

Thanks all :) Yup, I'll just have to go longer on the pork next time... and directly on the grate instead.

Last night's installment of (root)beer-butt chicken was great! It was the first directly on the grate event. I do think I'll mod/adjust the door somehow because that first smoke I did with the fatty and pork... well, I closed it all up -- the grate and the vents, thinking that oughta suffocate it. Nope! DH moved the smoker back onto the patio the next day and the coals were still going/smoking and putting out heat. In fact, when I got home from work at 6pm, he was huddled around the "campfire" -- that was 27 hours after I lit the darned thing, LOL! Minion method worked for sure (one load of coal, 27 hours... goodness!)

Anyhow, here's the chicken! Went for about 2.5 hours at close to 250 most of the time. These were 3 and 4-pound birds. The thermometer never registered a temp again, so I think I got a lemon there.

Note the ripped skin on the one in the front? Well, I found out that I should have put them on the grate in the top-most level because it's very difficult to lift those things up with the smoke still going (especially in the dark, at about 9pm, haha). My eyes were stinging. I had to tip them over and use a huge deep-fried-items-retrieval basket spoon (no idea what it's called) to scoop up from underneath while "grabbing" with a set of tongs... squinting the whole way. I guess I coulda put on the BBQ mitts, but that's hindsight for ya.

They tasted great! It was a maple chipotle rub. Mmmmm.

now they look good... Thumbs Up .... next time just stick one side of your LONG tongs down inside the bird (throught the neck opening) into the can and the other side on the back... then squeeze and lift out.... can and all

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky