exploding sausages......Its possible !!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Joe, I just made up a 2.6 lb patch of all beef sausage and used the 26mm fresh collagen casings I just received from the Sausage Maker, I did a couple tested right after stuffing like you did.
First one was in a a frying pan under low heat. 4 inch link with one end open and the other end twisted and folded over. the open ended end shrunk about an inch, the twisted end stayed together for the most part.
the second one I poached starting around 120° and raising it to 160° until the link reached 150°. It held together with no leaking meat. I then placed it in the pan and while browning it up it split. I should have had the heat lower I think.

I'm still not sure if the casing is shrinking or the meat is expanding.
Tomorrow after they set overnight I'll try frying one again, I think letting them set up to bind some they won't shrink/expand to much. and in hind sight I think adding a binder would help.

Thanks dan. I just ground up a 10 lb butt and trying to decide what to make. Going to make a 1 lb batch of breakfast links again and let them sit in the fridge overnight.

Its just weird the johnsonville small breakfast links use the same casing and they dont shrink.

When I do small sausages like that style I don't case at all. I bring my stuffer in the kitchen and cook them as I form them using the 1/2" stuffer tip. I cook them to about 3/4 done and freeze. When you pull them out of freezer they cook up quick and not as dry as if they were fully cooked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky