Experienced builder advice, Adding cabinet doors to a Lang 84

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The Art of Pork

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 1, 2021
A long time lurker and reader.
61549FF5-AA09-416F-9CC1-DE6E433D2F4F.jpeg

About 15 years ago I bought a Lang model 60. Kept it for a year sold it for what I had in it and bought a larger 84. Both have been excellent smokers. The 60 was my favorite, just too small for what I need.

That said, the 84 cooks wonderfully but has some design issues I’ve never been particularly fond of. Primarily, The upper rack impedes full length use of the bottom rack, rack spacing, small door opening and short upper rack.

We recently cooked 260 Boston butts for a fundraiser at church and I got fairly irritated with the arrangements inside the grill and decided I wanted to add cabinet style, widemouth doors to my Lang.
AA8833FB-6A6E-401E-AE7B-4836ED6DB80A.jpeg

I had some 3/16 diamond steel plate and have started making double door boxes for each side of the cooker.
60A68E5E-89E4-40CE-8BEA-D3D488D6E4B8.jpeg
FAA37C80-9EA9-4A1B-B6CC-242B50790400.jpeg
E67DCF35-444D-481D-A731-D98268E10CAF.jpeg
9EBC5EC4-F57E-4B47-A1AB-CFFF3291D13D.jpeg

Now that i’ve gotten close to cutting the Lang open and mounting the boxes, I thought before I made it to the point of no return, I would seek advice and thoughts from any experienced builders.

I know it will increase interior volume slightly but I can’t see it being an issue? or maybe I’m wrong? I’ve run the Lang through the smoker calculators and according to most of them it fall short in several areas like stack length, firebox dimensions and firebox to cooker opening

My original plan was double cabinet doors on both sides of the cooker but is it worth the extra time and effort to put doors on both sides or just a solid back on one side and doors on the other? I have the materials so I figured why not.

The cabinet boxes are 61 inches long by 19 1/2 inches tall and will stick out from the top of the smoker about 12 1/2 inches and the bottom roughly 3 inches

The pictures are not great but hopefully you can get the idea.

I welcome advice or comments as to how well my plan is thought through, design or unexpected pitfalls along the way.

Welcome from Ohio. Interesting thread and some here can help for sure. I have an 84D as well. I’ve not cooked that large a cook yet. Having doors on both sides helps which I’m glad for.

Welcome from Ohio. Interesting thread and some here can help for sure. I have an 84D as well. I’ve not cooked that large a cook yet. Having doors on both sides helps which I’m glad for.

I agree with the doors on both sides.

As I mentioned, one of the issues is that the top grill grate is 15 or 20 inches shorter than the bottom which makes it difficult to get to the 10 or so inches on either end of the bottom grill grate. The top rack support brackets are in the way.

Also this modification would allow me to build a bottom grate that will slide out rather than being fixed.

It puts out some good barbecue and pretty even temperature control and I just hate to make a huge modification that messes it up but if I could make one that would make it more enjoyable to use even better

And while I’m at this....someone please give me the benefits of the breather hole at the top of the fire box opposite the cc intake.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky