Dumb question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As long as it is unfinished, it would be no different than using kiln dried splits, which a lot of folks kiln dry their own. Hardwood flooring scraps (unfinished) have been brought up in the past and is fine. As far as too dry, wood is hygroscopic and will absorb some moisture from the air. Unless you live in a desert, it will have some moisture in it.

Can oak lumber (like Home Depot stuff) be used for smoking meat?
I have cuts and off fall oak , cherry , maple and others in 30 gallon totes in my shop .
I would never use it for cooking .
Burns up to fast and you get little to no smoke from it . Way to dry .
You can try it and form your own opinion .

OK, thanks for the info. I ask because Oak is less common out here in the Pacific NW than Alder, Cherry & Apple. I'm looking for a good wood for smoking some Lockhart-style sausage.

A lot would also depend on if you are using it just as flavor wood or actual fuel. Splits (even what they sell at Lowe's or HD) will be bigger pieces than that milled for lumber.

OK, thanks for the info. I ask because Oak is less common out here in the Pacific NW than Alder, Cherry & Apple. I'm looking for a good wood for smoking some Lockhart-style sausage.
I was wondering if you had access to cuts or if you wanted to go buy lengths of oak .
That stuff is " F4S " finished 4 sides . High dollar stuff because you're paying for all that labor .
I would think the alder would work for what you want to do , along with some cherry for color .

No BBQ shops around you ?

A lot would also depend on if you are using it just as flavor wood or actual fuel. Splits (even what they sell at Lowe's or HD) will be bigger pieces than that milled for lumber.
Just for flavor. I've done some searching, and a nearby ACE Hardware has bagged post oak chunks, so I'll run down there tomorrow. I'm trying to keep this batch close to the Lockhart stuff as far as wood goes.

Reactions: indaswamp and DougE
Just for flavor. I've done some searching, and a nearby ACE Hardware has bagged post oak chunks, so I'll run down there tomorrow. I'm trying to keep this batch close to the Lockhart stuff as far as wood goes.
ACE can order in, at no shipping cost to you, bagged B+B post oak splits.
That's how/where I get mine and it works great in my offset.

Post oak is a white oak so if you have to substitute, that is what you are looking for. Also, as far as flavor, the soil where the tree grows has a big impact on the smoke created when burned as a flavor wood.

I typically use tree trimmings from the two live oak trees in my yard when smoking a brisket....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky