drip pan for rib roast in WSM. or not?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
I'm doing my first rib roast in the WSM for Easter. Previously I've done them on a rotisserie in my Napoleon with a rear infrared burner. hey were always good, but no smoke (unless I added a tube). Trying to be different this year.
The cook part is pretty elementary with all the therm probes and such. Back yonder when cooked in oven always had a pan or dutch oven to catch all the drippin's (for help with au jus)
Was just curious if setting the roast in a tin fole pan to cook will impede anything? Just hate thinkin of all those juices dripping into the water bowl and going to waste.
TIA
John

Reactions: JLeonard
Meat on upper rack , pan on the second rack ? Or is the second rack taken ?
On a pellet grill , but same idea .
20220223_133832.jpg

Reactions: jcam222 and JLinza
Not a rib roast but I use this set up to cook more than one rib roast. As in this pic, I also use this set up for the smoke portion of my reverse sear process.

I typically put all my items in the bottom such as garlic, onion, beef broth or stock & let the dripping and smoke from the cooker drip into the pan. Worked like a charm for me. Just strain to a pot when done cooking your rib roast and finish your au jus to your liking.

IMG_5197.jpeg

Not a rib roast but I use this set up to cook more than one rib roast. As in this pic, I also use this set up for the smoke portion of my reverse sear process.

I typically put all my items in the bottom such as garlic, onion, beef broth or stock & let the dripping and smoke from the cooker drip into the pan. Worked like a charm for me. Just strain to a pot when done cooking your rib roast and finish your au jus to your liking.

View attachment 692883
Great set up if limited to a single grate for sure!

Reactions: texomakid
Agree with the pan and broth. Doing a rib roast on the Treager and will put broth and whole garlic cloves in pan below. I've never used the WSM but can you put a rack on the water pan and set your pan with broth on that? Or put a rack on your broth pan so the roast doesn't sit in broth?

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky